I bought a laser engraver/cutter

Thanks for posting that pattern. I like it. With your permission I'll do something similar.

Thank you for the offer of the DXF file. All help is appreciated. Started drawing up a pattern but I'll hold off on that now.

Well, I tell you what. I love this thing so far. Cuts 10-12 oz leather in one pass and does not even need 100% power to do it. Fairly easy to set up and get going after assembly. It absolutely does stink pretty bad. But the cutting is unmatched and precise. Veg tanned only. Does not work on oily leathers. I've not tried the maker's mark on steel yet because I am having too much fun cutting leather.

Well, I tell you what. I love this thing so far. Cuts 10-12 oz leather in one pass and does not even need 100% power to do it. Fairly easy to set up and get going after assembly. It absolutely does stink pretty bad. But the cutting is unmatched and precise. Veg tanned only. Does not work on oily leathers. I've not tried the maker's mark on steel yet because I am having too much fun cutting leather.
I can really see additional benefit if someone is hand sewing their leather too. You can cut perfect stitching holes in every project. No more drilling.

I just got this! Man it's fun to mess with. 50w fiber

i-74NQc8Q-X2.jpg

i-PBM3rWw-X2.jpg
i-JqK2fVb-X2.jpg

Josh, you're just making the rest of us feel bad with our puny little 10 watt diode lasers! Congrats - that will actually engrave to some depth. I consider my OLM3 10 watt as "marking" on steel rather than actually "engraving" any depth into the blade.

With all the new tech in lasers over the last yr, perhaps in another yr the 50 watt fiber will be more affordable.

Josh, you're just making the rest of us feel bad with our puny little 10 watt diode lasers! Congrats - that will actually engrave to some depth. I consider my OLM3 10 watt as "marking" on steel rather than actually "engraving" any depth into the blade.

With all the new tech in lasers over the last yr, perhaps in another yr the 50 watt fiber will be more affordable.
Hey if I was only doing it as a hobby I would definitely get the diode Laser... Nothing to be ashamed of! I didn't even know about those things before this post. I thought only fiber could actually mark into the steel. Plus - this is dedicated for metal (and maybe some kydex)... The diode can do it all

The modest 10 Watt diode laser (Ortur Laser Master 3) gets an A+ on putting a maker's mark on knives. Deep enough to feel and even delivers two shades of grey. The detail is superior to what I could do with the electro etching. Very consistent. I am very happy with these results and will be doing it this way going forward.

IMG_5967.JPEG

The modest 10 Watt diode laser (Ortur Laser Master 3) gets an A+ on putting a maker's mark on knives. Deep enough to feel and even delivers two shades of grey. The detail is superior to what I could do with the electro etching. Very consistent. I am very happy with these results and will be doing it this way going forward.

View attachment 82935
I have marked maybe 6 knives now with mine and I am very happy. 100% power and three passes at 150 mm/m.View recent photos.jpg

Last edited:
Back