I bought a laser engraver/cutter

It's not hard with the fiber. I can light it up and position the knife to align it.
Mine will frame everything with the laser on a low setting so you can see exactly where the etching will be. When I get a little better with it I may have to try that.

I cut out a prototype sheath I have been working on lately. I like not having a loop for the belt and instead having slots. I used the laser to cut the parts out and it went together super quick. You can see the welt I drew out first. Then it goes on from there. I use an old steel saw blade and magnets to hold the leather down.
045270F3-9233-4A89-ABA6-0C91114D99A3.jpeg986AB85F-EDE2-48DA-A355-CBF9CA64569D.jpegD0E92F1C-EF0D-496B-B43B-14253EE775EF.jpeg9BC15303-7551-4EB0-B1D3-139159473320.jpeg12ADDAB6-AA5E-4F3D-90A7-EB95A1968B56.jpeg3151EAB5-951E-4F35-AE20-9ACDF9FBB6F4.jpeg
Still not sure if I like the sheath but being able to cut it out of scrap cardboard first helped me narrow the design down before I cut it out of leather. The sheath is ambidextrous and can be glued up ahead of time and stitched from which ever side you wish for a right or left hand look. Either way you can wear it on either side and carry multiple knives in it. Thoughts?

I cut out a prototype sheath I have been working on lately. I like not having a loop for the belt and instead having slots. I used the laser to cut the parts out and it went together super quick. You can see the welt I drew out first. Then it goes on from there. I use an old steel saw blade and magnets to hold the leather down.
View attachment 82660View attachment 82661View attachment 82662View attachment 82663View attachment 82665View attachment 82664
Still not sure if I like the sheath but being able to cut it out of scrap cardboard first helped me narrow the design down before I cut it out of leather. The sheath is ambidextrous and can be glued up ahead of time and stitched from which ever side you wish for a right or left hand look. Either way you can wear it on either side and carry multiple knives in it. Thoughts?
That's working out really slick for you Chris! Have you tried engraving the leather? Add a maker's mark to the sheath?

That's working out really slick for you Chris! Have you tried engraving the leather? Add a maker's mark to the sheath?
I have done a couple of leather hat patches for my son. He collects hats and is loving being able to make whatever he wants. I need to design a logo type thing for my leather though. I have also made a couple of notebook covers which could use some engraving. Turns out I am much better at designing in CAD than I am cutting leather with a razor knife and ruler...

Chris - you did it. Cost me $750!! Today I placed an order for the Ortur Laser Master 3 with the foldable legs, AND the roller rotary tool. and when I add in the safety glasses, honeycomb, and perhaps an enclosure.... and Lightburn software. Looks like you've cost me around $1,000 Chris.

Oh well, "Boys 'n their Toys"

My excuse is it's exercising my brain to help prevent memory loss.

My excuse is it's exercising my brain to help prevent memory loss.
Whatever works my friend. If I remember right you got a 3d printer too so a lot of the operation should be similiar. You are better than me at putting stuff together but I recommend watching a couple of assembly videos on youtube before assembly. I found the pictograph assembly instructions lacking. You are gonna love the laser.

View attachment 82660View attachment 82661View attachment 82662View attachment 82663View attachment 82665View attachment 82664

Couple of questions please if I may:

How thick was the leather you were able to cut?

From what you know, do you think it could cut thicker leather?

Thank you!

I think that will do! Thank you!

You just sold another one. ;)
Here is a video showing the results I mentioned.

I will also add some advice based on my experience so far. When the leather pieces are complete there is some carbon (char) on the edge grain. I take an emory board and hit them real quick. That removes the char from the cutting process and keeps it from getting on your nice clean leather. They also sell some masking material to cover your leather before cutting or engraving which will also keep the char from staining your clean surfaces before you get it cleaned up. I do not generally worry about it though because I stain most of my sheaths black.

Last edited:
Here is a video showing the results I mentioned.

I will also add some advice based on my experience so far. When the leather pieces are complete there is some carbon (char) on the edge grain. I take an emory board and hit them real quick. That removes the char from the cutting process and keeps it from getting on your nice clean leather. They also sell some masking material to cover your leather before cutting or engraving which will also keep the char from staining your clean surfaces before you get it cleaned up. I do not generally worry about it though because I stain most of my sheaths black.

Impressive indeed. Thank you very much for sharing, Chris!

I picked up the latest Ortur Laser Master 3 - 10Watt Diode Laser and downloaded LightBurn so I can start learning my way around it. I use Inkscape quite a bit so learning LightBurn should not take too long.

I look forward to using this machine to speed up prototyping of new leather products and help me make the maker's mark on my knives much better looking than I can with the electro etch. If all I get out of it is that, it will be worth it to me. But I have several other ideas I want to try as well.

Can't wait for the new tool to arrive at the shop!

I picked up the latest Ortur Laser Master 3 - 10Watt Diode Laser and downloaded LightBurn so I can start learning my way around it. I use Inkscape quite a bit so learning LightBurn should not take too long.

I look forward to using this machine to speed up prototyping of new leather products and help me make the maker's mark on my knives much better looking than I can with the electro etch. If all I get out of it is that, it will be worth it to me. But I have several other ideas I want to try as well.

I hope you like it. I am currently working on how to best mark my Damascus blades with the laser. All of my Damascus blades are coated with Gun-Kote so I am trying to figure the best time mark them. I was very happy with my results on Mono steel though.

I got my Ortur LM3 laser yesterday and got it setup to make etches. They look good - I'll post photos later today. I would think the Gun-Kote would go on last to protect the engraving as well as the Damascus. I have been impressed how well the Gun-Kote satin clear is holding up.

Chris - how bad is the order when cutting/engraving leather?

I got my Ortur LM3 laser yesterday and got it setup to make etches. They look good - I'll post photos later today. I would think the Gun-Kote would go on last to protect the engraving as well as the Damascus. I have been impressed how well the Gun-Kote satin clear is holding up.

Chris - how bad is the order when cutting/engraving leather?
If I understand the question correctly, when I do engraved cutouts I do the engraving parts first, then I do any inside cuts and last I do the outside cuts. If this is not what you are asking let me know. LightBurn makes it easy to change the orders of things.

Another tip I will share is to cut out all of your prototype leather projects out of cardboard first to see how things fit together and look. This one thing has saved me a lot of wasted leather...Cardboard is generally free.

Shucks Chris - I see I wrote "order", just like you responded. I was trying to write "odour" as in "bad smell". How bad does it smell when cutting leather?

Good idea using cardboard. I've not cut anything yet, just been engraving on metal, and a bit of wood.

Shucks Chris - I see I wrote "order", just like you responded. I was trying to write "odour" as in "bad smell". How bad does it smell when cutting leather?

Good idea using cardboard. I've not cut anything yet, just been engraving on metal, and a bit of wood.
Got it. When cutting leather there is not a happy smell. I would not do it in the house. If you have ever smelled a burning animal then you know what burning leather smells like. Not too good!

Here is a sheath I drew out for a KA-Bar style knife I am working on. Front, back, loop welt and strap all cut at once and ready to glue and sew.

Capture.PNG

Back