I am STOKED!

M

Mook

A woodworker friend who admired the knife I just made has presented me with a big box of wood cutoffs for making handles. A sampling:

padouk
chestnut
quilted maple
apple
persimmon
walnut
some stuff that looks like it has little flames running through it.

I'm ready to make about a dozen knives just so I can make a handle from each of these types of wood.

Any suggestions on which I should choose first?

I would wonder if the chestnut would be hard enough for handles without stabilizing. The only time that I handled it was when a friend of my ex-wife was burning 6X6" beams on his camp fire. He was a little sick when Louise told him that he had probably burned a couple of thousand dollars worth of old barn beams. He never said what he got for the beams that he had left. I'd love to see the stuff with the flame pattern. Please post pictures.

Doug Lester

I would wonder if the chestnut would be hard enough for handles without stabilizing. The only time that I handled it was when a friend of my ex-wife was burning 6X6" beams on his camp fire. He was a little sick when Louise told him that he had probably burned a couple of thousand dollars worth of old barn beams. He never said what he got for the beams that he had left. I'd love to see the stuff with the flame pattern. Please post pictures.

Doug Lester

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Burned chestnut? I bet you were sick.

Sean

Some people just don't realize what they've got. huh1

Mook, please, post pics.
Who knows, maybe you could sell some of it. :Dcool 1

Nice score! All I can say is padouk looks great when done,but you will hate working it. At least I do. Orange everywhere, including up the nose :rolleyes: Oily, loads up belts, but looks SO good when it is over.

Paul

Nice score! All I can say is padouk looks great when done,but you will hate working it. At least I do. Orange everywhere, including up the nose :rolleyes: Oily, loads up belts, but looks SO good when it is over.

Paul

I like that it smells like pipe tobacco. Zebrawood smells like zebra poo.

I've seen some sycamore. It looks good but I think that it would require stabilization to be a useful handle wood also.

Doug Lester

Sean, I wasn't half as sick as Louise's brother was. He's a cabinet maker. David just didn't know what he had but I bet Neal, my ex brother-in-law, wised him up real fast. I bet the next time David makes a little extra tearing down an old tobacco barn for someone that he checks to see what the salvaged lumber is worth.

Doug Lester

Back