How to finish micarta scales????

bluegrass in ga

Just did my first black lilen micarta scales. I have everything shaped the way I want them. Now how is the best way to finish them off for a nice look. Thanks in advance.
Danny

I like linen micarta to have a flat finish(The oppisite of shiney). I get it shaped like I want it then hand finish it with 400 grit sand paper. I'll be finishing one this morning, I'll take a picture and post it here later today.

Yep, take it to 400 grit and spray it with a little WD-40 or Renaissance Wax and it will look good.
-john

To get it total black again. Especially on Canvas Micarta which will be black and gray. Just a little leather dye or shoe polish will bring the total black and will hid that gray.

Here's a top secret finish that works well on micarta, g10 and g11. (it's gun oil).

Steve

Attachments

• 10 084.jpg
    10 084.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 10 080.jpg
    10 080.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 73
OK, I'm gona let everyone in on MY SECRET :p for finishing synthetics like Micarta and G10.

My normal finish for these materials is to sand to 220 grit, bead blast the material (I tape/mask off any parts of the knife/knives that I do not want bead blasted finish on) and the apply ONE coat of Tru-Oil with the tip of my finger. Just as soon as the coat is applied, I wipe it dry with a clean rag or lint free paper towel (I like the Scott brand blue colored "shop towels"). Set it aside for a couple of hours and it's done. The Tru-Oil is just a sealer, which keeps the material from picking up hand/body oils, or other "stains" that will give the materials a dull or worn look. Even if you finely sand/polish micarta or G10, the Tru-Oil is still good to keep the finish looking even and new.

You can achieve different levels of "texture" on these materials based on the type of blast media you use. Glass beads produce the finest, and aluminum oxide or Silicon carbide (depending on the media grit) produce the coarser textures.

Last edited:
Thanks

Man I love you guys!!!:rolleyes: In a man kinda way of course:D I really do appreciate you guys helping out the rookies like me. I hope you all realize how valuable you're wisdom and experience is. Thank you all very much. By the way, that's a beautiful knife Calvin2thumbs

I like to put them on the buffer with white compound. If they get to shiny I wipe them down with lacquer thiner. Takes the shine off.

picture.php

picture.php

Ed thats funny I just bought another bottle at the last gun show. I use it on everything it seals just like you say and you get that extra shine. Your a credit to this forum in a big way. kellyw

Back