How thick do you measure your center marks.

Jeff Pearce

KNIFE MAKER
I just got a new height gage for marking my blades. But i was wondering what is the most common thickness you guys scribe your blanks too. is 1/32 " to thin.Please let me know. thank's Jeff

00000_002935_x_702.jpg

00000_004935_x_702.jpg

Jeff, I don't have the answer for you but that is one fine looking height gauge. May I ask where you got it?

Main Entry: 1gauge
Variant(s): also gage \ˈgāj\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English gauge, from Anglo-French
Date: 15th century

1 a : a measurement (as of linear dimension) according to some standard or system: as (1) : the distance between the rails of a railroad (2) : the size of a shotgun barrel's inner diameter nominally expressed as the number of lead balls each just fitting that diameter required to make a pound <a 12-gauge shotgun> (3) : the thickness of a thin material (as sheet metal or plastic film) (4) : the diameter of a slender object (as wire or a hypodermic needle) (5) : the fineness of a knitted fabric expressed by the number of loops per unit width b : dimensions, size c : measure 1 <surveys are a gauge of public sentiment>
2 : an instrument for or a means of measuring or testing: as a : an instrument for measuring a dimension or for testing mechanical accuracy b : an instrument with a graduated scale or dial for measuring or indicating quantity
3 : relative position of a ship with reference to another ship and the wind
4 : a function introduced into a field equation to produce a convenient form of the equation but having no observable physical consequences
synonyms see standard

I see that some guys only put one center line and grind to it .but i want two lines and i will grind to them but want to know how thick i should leave the blade . I was told about this way .

"you need to take and lay your blade flat(on granite) then zero your gauge, then slide you gauge up and see how thick your blade is. I use that number and subtract .20 and then divide that number by 2 and that is the number i use I don't use a center line , i use the edge thickness i want it to end up being.Total of two lines"

I like this idea. how about you.

Jeff,

Edge thickness will be determined by what the job of the knife will be - straight razor: super thin. Hunter/utility, thicker, etc.

After marking the edge with layout dye or a black sharpie, I use a height guage/gage/gaige/gayge :) to scribe two lines down the center of the blank approximately 1/16" wide. I use 60 grit belts to grind the primary bevels, then 120 grit, then to HT. Finer belts further refine the edge after HT.

BC

Jeff,

Edge thickness will be determined by what the job of the knife will be - straight razor: super thin. Hunter/utility, thicker, etc.

After marking the edge with layout dye or a black sharpie, I use a height guage/gage/gaige/gayge :) to scribe two lines down the center of the blank approximately 1/16" wide. I use 60 grit belts to grind the primary bevels, then 120 grit, then to HT. Finer belts further refine the edge after HT.

BC

Thank's for the info Bill 2thumbs

Jeff
As a general rule on straight knives, I take them down to .20. I use the method you described. Measure the thickness and subtract .20 then mark two lines. For folders I usually go a little thinner. Hope this helps.

BTW nice gage/gauge (take your pick, I tend to agree with Nathan on this one.):)

Sean

I make my marks 1/32" (.03") apart and grind to them, and then past them until the edge is somewhere between .03" and .02" thick prior to heat treat.

I have a similar gage and it works very well. You can get it from Grizzly as well.

--nathan

Back