How Much Polishing is Enough?

Wow. That’s a mirrored finish for sure.
I take my finish up to 400 on most knives and finish with a scotch brite finish. I’ve finished with higher grits in the past but with my style of knife I think my present finish method works well. Some may disagree.

I spent quite a few hours on this blade. I got it up to 12,000 grit with at least 100 strokes per grit.
OK, I understand you're bragging - that does look like a mirror. Took me a bit to realize what the photo was, but it's showing the reflection on the blade? Wow!

Still trying to decide if it's worth it

Is it worth it? That depends on how much you enjoy polishing. It does look for for a "wall hanger" or "Safe Queen". For a knife in actual use, naw, not worth it at all. Of course, that's my opinion.

With all that said, I can surely admire the work and results of that reflection.

It looks good, I’d say it was worth it. There’s a lot of people who like a mirror polish. It’s not for everyone or every knife but over the years I’ve heard makers shun doing a mirror polish and honestly believe some of those makers don’t like them because it takes longer or they just can’t get a good mirror polish on their knives.

Nicely done, Chris! I still like mirror finishes, having learned that way. I like two-tone finishes even more, with the flats satin finished after mirror. Mirror first, BTW, is a great path to those perfecto 400-600 grit satin finishes you see.

I have to say, the modern high-alloy steels have made a lot of knife finishes rather ugly nowadays. I see far too many 36 grit scratches covered up with ascending grits never removing all the heavier scratches from the grit before. Scotchbrite is good, but it's not good enough to fix that to a keen eye.

Nicely done, Chris! I still like mirror finishes, having learned that way. I like two-tone finishes even more, with the flats satin finished after mirror. Mirror first, BTW, is a great path to those perfecto 400-600 grit satin finishes you see.

I have to say, the modern high-alloy steels have made a lot of knife finishes rather ugly nowadays. I see far too many 36 grit scratches covered up with ascending grits never removing all the heavier scratches from the grit before. Scotchbrite is good, but it's not good enough to fix that to a keen eye.
That “shiny first, then dull back” part is very important to getting a nice finish. 2000, then 600 looks fantastic!

Scotchbrite is good, but it's not good enough to fix that to a keen eye.
That’s assuming poor workmanship on the previous sanding progression- is it not. Same with poor sanding leading up to any higher grit. IMHO.

That’s assuming poor workmanship on the previous sanding progression- is it not. Same with poor sanding leading up to any higher grit. IMHO.

Yes, it most certainly is and you are 100% correct. That is my point. Acceptability limits have shifted in a way I find disappointing. Nothing against Scotchbrite, as I went out of my way to say. I do have a bit of an issue with how it's become a panacea to sloppiness. IMHO.

Thanks! I like mirror finishes as well and a few of my customers love them. It costs extra though!

I've been guilty of trying to smooth everything out with a Scotchbrite belt. I have seen 80-120 grit scratches below the surface in a few of my knives. You just can't sand out a lower grit scratch with a higher grit paper. You have to work your way down.

My wife has very good eyes and she helps me find the smallest of scratches and marks them with a Sharpie. Then it's back to the sanding table for me...

I don't even use 36 grit for blade grinding anymore. Don't need to with the high tech ceramic belts we have now. I will use cheaper 36 grit on wood, but eve then, you chase those scratches. I use a cabinet maker's rasp as some point.

I don't even use 36 grit for blade grinding anymore. Don't need to with the high tech ceramic belts we have now. I will use cheaper 36 grit on wood, but eve then, you chase those scratches. I use a cabinet maker's rasp as some point.

I have also stopped using the 36 grit belts for anything other than the initial outline of the blade after cutting it out with my bandsaw.

I have plenty of 60-80 grit belts that I can do a great job with!

I just assign my shop an hourly rate (plus consumable costs). If the knife sells for a price that reflects the hours then it’s worth it. If it doesn’t, it may still be worthwhile every now and then if you enjoy the process.
I’m assuming you probably didn’t enjoy the polishing but the end result looks great. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t think most people would be willing to pay for the time it takes.

I just assign my shop an hourly rate (plus consumable costs). If the knife sells for a price that reflects the hours then it’s worth it. If it doesn’t, it may still be worthwhile every now and then if you enjoy the process.
I’m assuming you probably didn’t enjoy the polishing but the end result looks great. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t think most people would be willing to pay for the time it takes.

I don't mind the polishing and this one was kind of an experiment with AEB-L steel. Most of my customers don't want or need mirror polishing. They surely don't want to pay a premium for it in most cases...

Last edited:
Back