How do you grind?

I will! I still need to finish the top of the bolsters then I still want to touch up the blade yet not happy with it.

I went to my first knife show in Wisconsin this past Friday. For me it was amazing to see how kinds of knives. Also it was nice to meet some knifemakers and suppliers. I will see you down at the Blade Show!

I flat grind and hollow grind. And I use a jig now. Have been grinding for 35 years and I wished I had started using a jig 35 years ago. My grinds were always very good because I worked at it. But now they are darn near perfect. When I got in the Guild it was preached that you should only grind by hand. Baloney. I have been told that you are not a knife maker if you can't grind freehand. My customers don't care if my grinds are done freehand or not. They just want a good knife. I can still freehand and I do when it is something that I can do quick. But using a jig the grinds are a lot better. The point here is to learn to grind the way you want to. There is nothing wrong with how you make a knife your way.

I concur.....If you want the MOST accurate, repeatable and consistent product......use a jig. The buying customer does not give a rat's ass how it was ground. They (and I) care about a consistent product. Free handing is NOT going to compare.....just the way it is folks.

Coming along.
get with me before you mount the bolsters.
Tim are you doing this at home?? Cause isn't your desk directly across from Boss's arn't you kinda with him already? ha ha Looking good having fun following this thread.

No I am doing this at the shop. I need to hook up my grinder at home because I moved to a different house. I think I need to make new bolsters. I will keep updated.

I concur.....If you want the MOST accurate, repeatable and consistent product......use a jig. The buying customer does not give a rat's ass how it was ground. They (and I) care about a consistent product. Free handing is NOT going to compare.....just the way it is folks.

Tim,
I love this topic!:biggrin: It keeps going around!

Last edited:
I am thinking about using a jig on my next knife to use how it compares.

That is interesting. How long does it take to grind a knife doing it that way?

I would like to try that some day. I really enjoy grinding but I need to finish my blade. The bolsters are taking me some time. I had to do the bolsters over twice already.

Tim

Art in NC helped me a great deal with bolsters. He regularly posts on this site. Send him a pm. He shared with me a drawing he had made showing the steps. To me, it was extremely helpful. Art is a very nice guy and experienced knife maker that will share his knowledge freely.

DeMo

After making my bolsters again I think this week I should be able to put them on the knife.

Back