How Do You Dye Epoxy?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Okay, so I made an "oops". The best way for me to correct this is to fill the area with epoxy, but I need it to be black and all I have is clear epoxy. How do I dye it black?

Murph,

I've been using black oil paint and it works like a charm. It only takes a TINY dot of color to dye the epoxy.

-Josh

Okay, so I made an "oops". The best way for me to correct this is to fill the area with epoxy, but I need it to be black and all I have is clear epoxy. How do I dye it black?

Go to your local hardware store and bring an empty bottle. Tell them you need a little pigment for mixing paint. One drop of pigment will do quite a bit of epoxy, and works great. Last time I used the paint pigment, I used a tooth pick and picked up the tiniest amount I could. Will be hard to get a perfect match. Mixing in a little white will lighten it up. Again... Use a small amount of pigment.
Dave

I use either printer ink or India ink if I want the epoxy to retain its shiny translucence. Alternatively, for black, I've used fine ebony wood dust and coal dust to obtain a flatter, more opaque look.

K& G sells epoxy dyes in 5 colors but as one said go to the paint store and get a little pigment to get you by.

I'll try to get some pigment tomorrow. Thank you for the advice guys.

Last edited:
I use the black and brown pigment for acraglas from Brownells. You can make epoxy any color in the rainbow by using Testors model paint.

For black, lampblack works for me.
I collect some soot from a candle flame on a metal plate, then mix the epoxy on the soot...

Carpenter's chalk works great.
It's cheap and available in many colors. A bottle will last a lifetime.

Rudy

Murph, run around there to Hobby Lobby and pick you up an assortment of oil paint in those little artist paint bottles.
Or you can order the coloring from Texas Knife Supply.
And send my your phone no. I lost it.
Jerry

So, you all post this after I run around all over the area here, trying to find stuff that'll work. huh1 :unsure:

Even the Paint Stores don't sell anything like what's been described here.
Guess I shoulda asked for freebies.

Oil Paints don't mess with the epoxy's curing?

Oh, and I already recieved my order of Colorants from K&G. Short Bus

I frequently use glass enamel powders. They come in a huge array of colors and have the advantage of providing a spacing filler for the epoxy as well as coloring. On the other hand they're probably not practical unless you're married to an enamalist :)

I use some toner from a Xerox machine. When the toner cartridge is used up there is usually a small amount left in the cartridge that you can save. It works great and a little is all you need.

I realize you probably have this covered by now, but I can send you some if you want to try it.

I use to use a small drop of acrylic paint in my epoxies. But I have quit using epoxies.
Now To fix a little "oops" Put a drop of super Glue in the spot needing fixing and fill it is with the grinder dust from the scale you are working with.

I have used the super glue for small voids. For black I scraped some pencil lead and worked it in.

Joe

Back