How About A Bruce Bump Blade Gallery

What steel did you use for Roger's kitchen knife, Bruce?

Mike

Hi Mike,
I used CPM 154 from Crucible. Paul Bos heat treated this one, in fact I think its the last one I will send out for HT. I have a rockwell tester now and plan to burn my own stainless from now on. I tested Pauls hardness and it came out at 61.5 on my tester. He is a hard act to follow.

That is one fine knife, I really like the looks of it. Love the stag.
Great Job, although it saddens me to hear it may be your last.
Jim

That is one fine knife, I really like the looks of it. Love the stag.
Great Job, although it saddens me to hear it may be your last.
Jim

I'm as moody as an old woman sometimes. This morning I got up and played with it, Its so cute and pretty I probally will make another. Its just that first one of any model takes the most time I think.

That little peanut is extremely sweet. By all means, please make more! Wouldn't mind seeing your take on a larger back pocket-ish slipjoint as well. Or having one in my back pocket, for that matter.

Roger

That little peanut is extremely sweet. By all means, please make more! Wouldn't mind seeing your take on a larger back pocket-ish slipjoint as well. Or having one in my back pocket, for that matter.

Roger

The peanut is a cool looking shape and has a clip point and a pen blade. It takes no room in the front pocket and really isnt too bad to make now that I got through the initial stumbles on the first one. I wish the tangs were big enough to accept a bushing. I think they need there own shield sized down too.

This one is made from GLWJ kit parts with some mods of my own. Its the first one that I heat treated the stainless myself. I've heat treated stainless before but now I have a rockwell tester so I can be certain of the blade and especially the spring temper hardness. GL has the drawings for my own peanut knife which is about 1/4" shorter and a little wider than this one and will be cutting it out so it will be unique. I am working on a smaller shield too. The steel thickness is another problem. The blades and springs need to be surfaced way down in hopes to keep the overall knife thinner.

One really cool advantage of the small peanut is scale choices.2thumbs Its so small that nice handle material is laying around everywhere.

Roger, are you going to the Blade Show? I will have one at the CKCA table for sale. Its a trapper with feather pattern blades and bolsters. My first damascus slippie.

Wow Bruce - that damascus piece sounds terrific! I do plan on attenting Blade, but there are some scheduling clouds on the horizon with work, so I'll have to make the call closer to the time. If I do go, I will be at the CKCA banquet and will see you there.

Roger

Wow Bruce - that damascus piece sounds terrific! I do plan on attenting Blade, but there are some scheduling clouds on the horizon with work, so I'll have to make the call closer to the time. If I do go, I will be at the CKCA banquet and will see you there.

Roger

I guess I wrote that wrong, I wont be at Blade but Kevin will have the slippie there at the CKCA table for sale. Kaye and I are saving up for our 35th anniversary trip anywhere except a knife show she says. She gets bored at knife shows and doesnt see them as a romantic weekend like I do. We're considering the Edmonton Mall. Have you been there?

Bummer that you won't be there. I have the same problem selling the knife show weekend as a family getaway. :eek: Though my 7 year old is keen to come along.

Never been to Edmonton, but I hope you enjoy it if you do go. My wife has been to Banff and loved it - stunningly beautiful, says she.

Roger

Bruce, please come to the island!
It's nice and close and it's beautiful. Stay in Victoria which is incredibly charming and stacked with interesting places and shopping. You should consider checking out the Empress Hotel- http://www.fairmont.com/empress - not too cheap but amazing!
Everything is in walking distance and there is a thriving theatre and music scene.
2thumbs

Bruce, please come to the island!
It's nice and close and it's beautiful. Stay in Victoria which is incredibly charming and stacked with interesting places and shopping. You should consider checking out the Empress Hotel- http://www.fairmont.com/empress - not too cheap but amazing!
Everything is in walking distance and there is a thriving theatre and music scene.
2thumbs

Its beautiful. A little spendy for sure at $299Can. per night. BTW what is a US dollar worth there right now?

101_6020_edited.jpg

101_6019_edited.jpg

101_6013_edited.jpg

This is as close as I can get to the real thing. A nice little New York Special boot knife. Its really shiney and smooth.

101_6032_edited.jpg

Back