home stabilization

I feel better, thanks Bodam an Boss, guess this is what makes this so interesting, when you're still a newbie, seems like everything you try is an unknown.

oh, I'm a noob too. I acquired the clear PVC and thought it would be a good start to try something. Of course I'm about $100 into it at this point, lol.

But I think it works, it just takes MUCH longer than anyone implied.

I think I remember Curtis saying you should heat stabilized wood for 2 hrs to be sure the resin is fully cured inside the wood. Bodam, not sure what vacuum pump you've got, but the typical price for a small suitable vac pump is around $75 to $100.

VERY IMPORTANT - dry in oven at 200ºF for 24 hrs if not longer.

Now, grind the excess resin off the wood, check to see if it sinks in water.

Later

Oh it sucks!

I'm gonna do a smoke test to find my leak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, sucking is the job of a vacuum pump:) vacuum leaks sure can be harder to find than pressure leaks. Pressure, just soap bubbles work pretty good.

Put smoke all around the chamber and can't find a leak.

But with pump off, it gradually loses vacuum.

Don't know if it even matters, but I'd like to bring it up and be able to leave it without pump running.

Then I could leave it overnight etc

I don't stabilize but I would just let the pump run. their rated for continuous duty. I ran one once from a Fri. afternoon to Mon. morning on a commercial A/C unit.

I you leave the pump off, the vacuum is going leak off just due to the air being pulled out of the wood, right? Even if your chamber and hoses were perfect, I think it would leak down. I was under the belief, you're supposed to leave the pump running the whole time.

Fair enough. I thought you were supposed to be able to turn off pump and hold vacuum.

I guess I need to just run pump all damn day.

well there you go. I'm not drying the wood either. maybe that is my problem too. I will have to dry a batch and give it another try. Another project for the weekend...

Put smoke all around the chamber and can't find a leak.

But with pump off, it gradually loses vacuum.

Don't know if it even matters, but I'd like to bring it up and be able to leave it without pump running.

Then I could leave it overnight etc

Do you have an isolation valve between the pump and your vacuum chamber or are you relying on the pump not to leak when it's shut off? At a high vacuum you really can't rely on the pump not leaking. If you want to shut the pump off you will most likely need to install an isolation valve in the line. The pressure will also slowly climb as the air is pulled out of the wood you are trying to stabilize, but if you can valve off the chamber, you can cycle the pump and not have to have it running full time.

I hope this makes sense.

I have a valve. Even with valve closed and pump off, the vacuum goes down

Back