Hi from the Yukon

Duncan Tipton

Hi, I am Duncan Tipton. I am a machinist and live in the Yukon Territory of Canada. I am a new knifemaker. It all started with an obsession for learning to sharpen a knife, now I make them. Each fall I get to use them (I hope) on the moose hunt. This year I took my second knife, made of O1 and not really pretty, and was very pleased (and a little suprised) with its performance. My knives are getting better, but I am here to learn from all of you. Thanks for sharing your knowlege.

D

Hello and welcome to Knife Dogs!

Don't be shy, we've got an "Offical First Knife Thread" around here somewhere...the one I posted 'aint pretty at all :)

BC

Welcome Duncan, I am a bit west of you in Fairbanks Alaska!!! I am looking forward to my first moose hunt this year coming up (we have only been here a year!)

OK, here is knife #2 in walnut and O1 and knife #3 in G-10 and O1. I took knife 2 on the moose hunt and got to use it on two moose. What joy to skin moose with a knife you made yourself! Thanks for the warm welcome, D

Attachments

• #2 web.jpg
    #2 web.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
  • #3 web.jpg
    #3 web.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4
Man, I hope that any of mine look that good! I love the walnut. What type of finish is on it? i have a sharpfinger with walnut and it gets a little slippery when wet. Is that a problem with yours?

Man, I hope that any of mine look that good! I love the walnut. What type of finish is on it? i have a sharpfinger with walnut and it gets a little slippery when wet. Is that a problem with yours?

I love the walnut to. I used Danish Oil. I quickly put as many coats as I could a day or two before the moose hunt and called it good. I didn't find it slippery, but the oil really isn't enough to properly preserve the wood.

Back