Hi all, knew to forum and knifemaking

arrow-360

Have been looking at the forum, and decided to join! Looks to be decent folk here, and skilled as well. Some beautiful craftsmanship! I do spend some time on rimfirecentral.coms knife forum, and was introduced to knifemaking there.
So far, I haven't compleated a knife, but have a few ready for heat treat.
The first thing I did was to build this:
stock.jpg

It is a 2 x 72, 2 hp grinder that works great. It has four speeds, with lowest under 1000 fpm and highest over 4000 fpm.
Needs some ceramic belts that will last.

Next was this:
oven003.jpg

On first fire up, It was melted down, because the controller was set in Celsius not Fahrenheit. It made it to 1333 degrees Celsius where it stopped climbing. When I opened the door, everything inside was a very bright yellow color. I did a calculation, and figure it was well over 2400 degrees Fahrenheit.:eek: Was a little much for the firebrick, as it melted. The elements both broke on cooldown.:( I WONT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!!
Looking forward to spending some time on knifedog! I am eager to learn the skills of a knifemaker.
Dave

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Hope to share a few things, but don't think I will have much that isn't here already. This place is a great place for information. I've been here all night, and now I have to go to work in 5 1/2 hours.:eek:
Good Night and thanks again!
Dave

welcome to KD...
nice to see the tool builds. I always wanted to build an oven. too bad yours burnt up. I bet it was HOT...

Back