Hello from Washington

Driften

Hi everybody!
I am just starting out on the road to knife making. I have made two kit knives and now am moving on to making my own from scratch. I have read the standard books on the subject (Boye, Goddard, Loveless, Hrisoulas). At the moment I am doing my work via stock removal using a 1x30 belt sander and a belt/spindle sander for work on the scales. When I have more money I plan on moving to the no weld grinder setup. I plan on sending the blades out for HT to start with also. I had planed on using TMS so am using air hardening steel (A-2) but might switch to Peters if I start doing larger batches or want to try oil hardening steels with a hamon line. Long run I would want to buy/make a HT Oven and do it my self.

Thanks!

Jeff Ellis

Hi Jeff and welcome to KD you sure are at the right place for info on knife making.

Good to hear from you Jeff... nice to see more folks from WA. Be sure to keep us posted as your work develops. :thumbup:

Good to hear from you Jeff... nice to see more folks from WA. Be sure to keep us posted as your work develops. :thumbup:

Once I get done with making some Christmas presents I will start on my grind. I normally do pen turning but for a change I am making handles for razors and perfume sprayers. Got the razors done but the drill press died before I could do the perfume sprayers. So got to buy a new drill press in the next couple of days.

I have the blade profiled and ready for a flat grind now.

Jeff, Welcome to the forum.
It is nice to see another person from the wet side on the forum.
Lets see some of your pens and stoppers.
John
centralia, wa.

Jeff, Welcome to the forum.
It is nice to see another person from the wet side on the forum.
Lets see some of your pens and stoppers.
John
centralia, wa.

Sure here is some pics of things that are about to go out as Christmas presents

Shaving Brush
Brush.jpg

Razors
Razors.jpg

Here is a pen and pencil set that I am keeping for my self made from Ironwood and BlackTi fittings. People tend to buy my personal pens right off me and leave me with nothing so I had to make a new set for myself ;)

IronWoodSet.jpg

Back