Hello From Montana

MTBob

As a long time hobby metalworker and newbie knife maker, I'd like to begin conversations with you'all as a way to improve my knife making skills. I have just gotten to the level of knife making where I'm beginning to understand what I don't know, and hopefully ask some reasonably intelligent questions.
Frankly, you folks are a bit intimidating. The level of knowledge, craftsmanship and artistry that so many of you have is remarkable. It's a challenge for me to enter this specialized world of knife making.
I've spent a lot of time scrounging around this forum, learning as much as possible before beginning any postings. Now I have a couple of nagging questions that I can't figure out. Perhaps you can give me a hand with that in other postings.
As background, I have a reasonably well set up shop for metalworking including a Reeder 2x72 grinder, self-built propane forge (brick pile style), tempering oven w/PID, Logan 9" lathe, Clausing knee mill, mig/tig/oxy welders, bandsaw, drill presses, plus a number of other metalworking machines and tooling. As a retired "geezer", this is a hobby shop that I've collected & assembled over the years, having learned basic metalworking skills on a number of these machines as a teenager.
FWIW, I live in SW Montana, near Bozeman.
Bob - aka MTBob

Welcome, Bob! Sounds like you are off to a great start. If you ever feel like you're not ready to make knives, you need to refer to "My First Knife" thread. You will find that everyone here started as a third rate apprentice prison shank maker.

Prepare to feel much better about yourself!

Hi buddy, some great guys here who are willing to share. Have fun and stay safe in the workshop!

Gudday from DownUnder in Oze. Good knife making I am sure you will get addicted like all the rest of us.

Back