Heikki’s KITH WIP for Nick Schreiber

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
Got a start on my KITH knife for Nick. It’s going to be a 4” gentleman’s hunter from 1084 with African Blackwood scales.

IMG_2243.jpg

For a challenge, I'll be adding some file work. I'll be attempting a Roman Knot pattern. This will be my third attempt and hopefully an improvement on both #1 and #2.

IMG_2244.jpg

The Roman Knot is the bottom pattern.

I started the file work today. Not sure how I feel about it. Maybe could've done the initial layout a bit tighter. I like the versions that look more squared or angular vs. a rounded "S" shape.

Initial layout on .165" thick stock. About 1/4" apart.
IMG_2250.jpg

Started by drilling #40 holes. Seemed like a decent proportion, maybe could've been smaller...
IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

Next step is cutting in with triangle file in between each hole.
IMG_2253.jpg

Next step is to connect the "V" cut to one edge of the hole. I decided to use a jeweler's saw for this step. I don't really have a steady enough hand for the cut off wheel on my Dremel... I figure slow is smooth and smooth is fast...

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg
Next you do the same, but on the other side of the hole.

...Then file to blend and connect it all.

IMG_2257.jpg

Different or better files might have made a difference here. I have Nicholson jeweler's files. Might look into some other options in the future.

And here's where I ended up. One thing I'd like to be able to figure out is how to make the holes look more diamond shaped. I was trying to use the tip of my triangle file for this, but snapped it off...

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Here it is against the African Blackwood. I'll add some black pigment to the epoxy when I glue it up, which should add some definition. I may go back and cut a little deeper with the jeweler's saw also...I haven't decided yet.
IMG_2259.jpg

And here's where I ended up. One thing I'd like to be able to figure out is how to make the holes look more diamond shaped. I was trying to use the tip of my triangle file for this, but snapped it off...

View attachment 75274

View attachment 75276

View attachment 75277

View attachment 75278

Here it is against the African Blackwood. I'll add some black pigment to the epoxy when I glue it up, which should add some definition. I may go back and cut a little deeper with the jeweler's saw also...I haven't decided yet.
View attachment 75275

Tim, that looks terrific.
I think that you're correct about the files. I would recommend Valorbe files. Pricey, but good. Another one is Gesswein. Any of the quality jeweler files are expensive but, like any good tool , are worth it.

Tim, that looks terrific.
I think that you're correct about the files. I would recommend Valorbe files. Pricey, but good. Another one is Gesswein. Any of the quality jeweler files are expensive but, like any good tool , are worth it.
Thanks Bruce. I'll look those up those files.

Back