Heat treat oven

Ok, I'm thinking this might be the oven I order.
Evenheat KF 18 Heat Treat Oven
SKU: Evenheat KF 18 w/ TAP----
Controller Type
TAP
Add-On Options
Bill Burk Modification, Loud Alarm (Rampmaster, Genesis ...
Add-On Options
Bill Burk Modification, Loud Alarm (Rampmaster, Genesis & TAP), Power Interrupt Switch, Quiet Drive Solid State
$1,402.91

I was figuring that one or the 22.5?? With the TAP Controler and the door power disconnect.

I was figuring that one or the 22.5?? With the TAP Controler and the door power disconnect.

I guess it boils down to what the ultimate blade length you might make. Honestly I don't think I will ever approach an 18" blade, so I'm thinking the 18" is going to be the max size for me. In fact I like the 13.5" model and I haven't ruled that out yet entirely. Most of my knives now are less than 8" and I don't see them growing any time soon.

Seems like a waste of energy and time to heat a chamber that is twice a long as the knives you make :)

I agree OPAUL but my Father beat into my head "IF BIG IS GOOD BIGGER IS BETTER!!" Kinda Tim the Tool Man Taylor syndrome!! o_Oo_O

Last edited:
I like my 13.5'' Paragon.( I also got a good deal on it so that helps.) If I make a knife that is to big for the oven it will probably be out of carbon steel and I'll just use my forge. If I thought that one day kitchen knives would be a possibility the 18" would be the way to go.

Opaul, here's a bit of insight to what these things consume elect. wise. when I bought my oven over 20 years ago I did sub contract work for Florida Power, the big elect. supplier here in Fl. and knew a lot of folks there.
One was a guy that ran the meter/safety dept., testing safety stuff used in the field. he had a gizmo in the shop that had a meter built into it to read loads, he let me borrow it over the weekend. I ran a full heat treat-temper on two 440-C blades. 1880 with 15 min. soak and temper at 380 for two hours.
I brought it back to him and he said it took approx. a whopping 26 cents worth of elect. I found that hard to believe....but that's what he told me.
That made the wife happy because as soon as she saw it she said, your getting a separate meter for your shop. I said, no I'm not...yes you are..no I'm not.....
I won. we still have one meter.

Opaul, here's a bit of insight to what these things consume elect. wise. when I bought my oven over 20 years ago I did sub contract work for Florida Power, the big elect. supplier here in Fl. and knew a lot of folks there.
One was a guy that ran the meter/safety dept., testing safety stuff used in the field. he had a gizmo in the shop that had a meter built into it to read loads, he let me borrow it over the weekend. I ran a full heat treat-temper on two 440-C blades. 1880 with 15 min. soak and temper at 380 for two hours.
I brought it back to him and he said it took approx. a whopping 26 cents worth of elect. I found that hard to believe....but that's what he told me.
That made the wife happy because as soon as she saw it she said, your getting a separate meter for your shop. I said, no I'm not...yes you are..no I'm not.....
Thanks bladegrinder!
There is not that much difference in price between the 13.5" and the 18" so most likely I will go with the 18".

If I were buying one today....I would get the bigger one. Mine serves me well but there has been a couple times where it limited me to the size knife I could get in there.

The KF18 is 3150W and the KF22.5 is 3600W. Only 450W more. If electricity costs .20/KWH it would only be .18 cents an hour more to run max. Maybe even go with the KO22.5 same wattage but thicker insulation will bump the top temp from 22K F to 24K F. Again not that I need that but if it ever happened I did it would be there. I'm still a bit away from buying one. Maybe a few months?

Last edited:
One was a guy that ran the meter/safety dept., testing safety stuff used Likein the field. he had a gizmo in the shop that had a meter built into it to read loads, he let me borrow it over the weekend. I ran a full heat treat-temper on two 440-C blades. 1880 with 15 min. soak and temper at 380 for two hours.

That is REALLY good to know...stuff can get in your head and affect the way you operate your shop...to your own detriment. I'm not gonna worry about having a thousand blades in the oven to not waste electricity anymore...lol!

I really want that KO22.5 A big chef's knife (10 inch blade +5 inch handle) would easily fit in an 18 oven even with the foil envelope, but why not get the bigger one? Of course, knowing my luck, I'll end up making folders for a living and feel like a real jabroni putting 3 inch blades and back springs into a 22.5 inch oven.

I'm really happy Steve put up real numbers. If it's only going to cost me a dollar to heat treat whatever's in the box, then I don't have feel so douchey doing folder parts in the 22.5 model

Ok, I'm thinking this might be the oven I order.
Evenheat KF 18 Heat Treat Oven
SKU: Evenheat KF 18 w/ TAP----
Controller Type
TAP
Add-On Options
Bill Burk Modification, Loud Alarm (Rampmaster, Genesis ...
Add-On Options
Bill Burk Modification, Loud Alarm (Rampmaster, Genesis & TAP), Power Interrupt Switch, Quiet Drive Solid State
$1,402.91
I am looking at the same one with the TAP loud alarm interrupt switch and solid state drive not sure about the Bill Burke thing yet don't know much about it.

I am looking at the same one with the TAP loud alarm interrupt switch and solid state drive not sure about the Bill Burke thing yet don't know much about it.
The Bill Burke is an extra layer of insulation under the SS skin to keep the exterior cooler. I think it's worth the extra dollars in the scheme of things.

Back