Heat treat oven

Gliden07

I've been thinking about starting to look for one of these. I won't be doing a high volume but want to really get the heat treating down on my knives. What's a good size to get and is it worth looking for a used one?? I was thinking Evenheat or Paragon.

For a long time I was a Paragon fan, but recently it seems that Paragon has gone down the tubes in terms of quality and service. I've spoken with several knifemakers who have purchased either a Paragon or Evenheat recently..... and it seems that those who've gone with the Evenheat brand are far more satisfied with their ovens, then those who purchased Paragon.

Personally, if I ever have to purchase another oven, it will be an Evenheat with the TAP controller. One of my best friends purchased one of these ovens, and it's pretty amazing..... 1950F in about 50 mins versus 2+ hours for his Paragon to reach the same temp..... and that TAP controller is pretty darn nice!

As far a size goes, get something BIGGER(deeper) then the longest of blades you ever intend to make..... nothing worse than needing to get a blade heat treated, and then realizing it's too long for your oven. :)

Last edited:
Ok guys.... Cut..........It .............Out!
Now you got me looking at ovens.

Well I'm looking may be a while. But everything I've researched seems to suggest that the Heat Treat is the heart of the knife! Figure if I'm gonna start selling them I want to put out the best product I can and I don't want my knives failing because of the heat treat! But I hear ya!! Its all expensive toys for me at this point.

Well I'm looking may be a while. But everything I've researched seems to suggest that the Heat Treat is the heart of the knife! Figure if I'm gonna start selling them I want to put out the best product I can and I don't want my knives failing because of the heat treat! But I hear ya!! Its all expensive toys for me at this point.

I agree with quality control, totally. I wonder how many fine knives are still around in everyday use that were made using techniques that have stood the test of time. I think as long as one is using high carbon 1084 steel and follow the guidelines for normalizing, heating/quenching/tempering the knife should turn out fine. Not to say there would be hiccups, but I suspect an oven wouldn't be 100%. I'm contemplating getting an oven in conjunction with moving on to other steel types.

I agree with quality control, totally. I wonder how many fine knives are still around in everyday use that were made using techniques that have stood the test of time. I think as long as one is using high carbon 1084 steel and follow the guidelines for normalizing, heating/quenching/tempering the knife should turn out fine. Not to say there would be hiccups, but I suspect an oven wouldn't be 100%. I'm contemplating getting an oven in conjunction with moving on to other steel types.

Yes, I'm thinking of trying other steels also. I figure if I had the oven I could do all types of steels including SS etc. And I figured this would minimalize the learning curve and take out one more variable. I know nothing is fool proof (especially when I'm involved!). Right now most of my stuff is 01 tool steel have done a couple in 1084. I followed Aaron Goughs and Walter Sorrels on heat treating the 01 and I seemed to have done ok but without beating it to death who knows?? Moving forward and never happy with what I know, wanting to know more! I just see the stuff many put out on here and I want to emulate the quality! There are so many talented people on this site!! Most are willing to help newbies like myself and this helps me make better knives! I hope I can help New makers at some point in my journey like I've been helped!

Last edited:
I went Evenheat 22.5 RM no lookin back. I would go Tap Controller if I had to do it again, but the RM is just fine. Just a good oven, period

When I jump I believe that is the machine I would go with. Its not much more than the 18 and the electrics are all the same. And if I ever decide I need a Machete I'm good!!

the KH

That was the one I originally was looking at but it was suggested to get larger than you thought you would need. The KF 22.5 is only 40 bucks more. Like the Grinder Buy once cry once! Its gonna be a little bit before I get one. But I want to put the research in prior to buying. Also if I come across a used heat treat oven at a good price I will know what I want and why!! Lots of time!! :D:D

Last edited:
I have a 14" Evenheat that I bought over twenty years ago. I pretty much work only with stainless and sent them out in the beginning but I never liked the wait or worry that nothing bad would happen to them in heat treat or shipping. then it happened, I got one back that was covered in scale and deeply pitted. I called the heat treater and asked what happened, their response was....there must have been a tear in the foil, it should clean up pretty easily....that was it....really?
That blade was ruined, it was then I decided it was time to get an oven. and never looked back. I just wish it had some sort of countdown buzzer to let me know like five min. ahead of the end of it's cycle. it's to easy to be doing something else and forget about the time left on it.

I did lose an element about ten years ago but I think the foil hit it when I was pulling out a blade, had a new one in the mail the next day.
One thing I do watch for is where I live in Florida we have bad lightning storms so I actually check for coming storms, being this thing is digital..don't want and surges going thru it.

For a long time I was a Paragon fan, but recently it seems that Paragon has gone down the tubes in terms of quality and service. I've spoken with several knifemakers who have purchased either a Paragon or Evenheat recently..... and it seems that those who've gone with the Evenheat brand are far more satisfied with their ovens, then those who purchased Paragon.

Personally, if I ever have to purchase another oven, it will be an Evenheat with the TAP controller. One of my best friends purchased one of these ovens, and it's pretty amazing..... 1950F in about 50 mins versus 2+ hours for his Paragon to reach the same temp..... and that TAP controller is pretty darn nice!

As far a size goes, get something BIGGER(deeper) then the longest of blades you ever intend to make..... nothing worse than needing to get a blade heat treated, and then realizing it's too long for your oven. :)
After reading this I watched a video on that Tap controller that thing is nice makes things easy.

I went with an Evenheat mostly because they're about an hour noth of me in the thumb (Michigan) and I could pick it up and save a ton on shipping.

I also really wanted the TAP controller.

If you go with Evenheat get the Bill Burke modification. It adds extra insulation and makes the outside much cooler when it's running.

I got the Paragon with the gas attachment...42" deep....Just in case. I wish I had another that was about 8" or 10"deep. I always wonder how much electricity I am wasting heating that chamber for my 6.5 inch blades....I got it that deep to normalize rifle barrel steel for my brother...then he got west nile and then meningitis right on top of that and hasn't had much energy since....I should send him an electric bill every month...lol.

I do like knowing I am in control for my stock removal blades. (probably all I will ever make)

Back