Headband Magnifier Recommendation?

MTBob

Does anyone have a recommendation for a headband style magnifier with a light? My aging eyes are asking for help.

I have the same problem.
I have an Optivisor with the LED lights on it:
It works OK but the light isn't super bright.
I have found that I do better with just very bright light as opposed to the magnification, so I have been using one of the Boruit headlamps.
I've found that they help me more than the Optivisor, plus they are cheaper.

I agree with Owl. Although I occasionally use an Optivisor , mostly I use reader glasses of different powers and bright task lights. Really helps with the old eye problem. Now if I could figure out how to see the front and back sight along with the target......

Hi Bob, I just spent quite a bit of time researching these and the biggest issue was the focal length. Most are made for closer focal length, there is some that have a 20" focal length and that is what I needed for grinding with my arms at the optimum level. The set of lenses I got with my optimizer had 4 lenses 3 were for the short view but the 1.5 had a 20 " and it helps a little when freehand grinding on the flat platten but not much. I even asked my dentist about some higher end one like she uses and she said you better be sitting down when you price those. Maybe if covid ever gets through with us we can go to the optometrist. I think I got them from boss or jantz . Hope this helps! Steve

I have two. One with a very short focal length, one with longer. I grab one when I need it but don’t wear them all the time. Brighter lights, like the sun, are what I count on.

I've had the optivisors and when it broke I gave this a try. It has about 5 different magnifying lenses, the light is good, and it's not as bulky as the optivisor.

Amazon Link

Yikes, you had the happy camp fire not far from you this year. Though I imagine most of us Norcal had a few fires close to us this year.
Yeah, the Devils was right out the front door and up on the ridge - about a tenth of a mile. Kinda get used to it. I was a fire fighter for a while and I really respect the wild fires.

I've had the optivisors and when it broke I gave this a try. It has about 5 different magnifying lenses, the light is good, and it's not as bulky as the optivisor.

Amazon Link
Thanks Chris, this looks like a good alternative for $17. It has a very high user response and rating on Amazon. If this one doesn't work, perhaps I'll get the full headband Optivisor that appears to be more rugged that Owl recommended for $106 A BIG price difference!
I agree with the need for general lighting. Even with high intensity LED's overhead lights, plus an LED swing arm at the grinder platen, I still need to see better. It's not a matter of adequate lighting, it's just being able to see close up. I've overcome this issue in my welding hood by inserting magnifying cheater lenses on the inside.
I'm going to the dentist next month, perhaps he's got a used dental magnifier he'll give me! ... hum... I wonder... where do all the used surgical / dental magnifying lenses go... I want to find that trash can.

Amazon Link

I have those same magnifiers and really like them. There’s a fair amount of adjustability built in too, which is nice. There’s another brand similar to that one that allows you to double stack the magnifiers as well, but they’re about twice the price if I recall.

I have those same magnifiers and really like them. There’s a fair amount of adjustability built in too, which is nice. There’s another brand similar to that one that allows you to double stack the magnifiers as well, but they’re about twice the price if I recall.
Can you use this style while wearing glasses?

Bruce, If you can rig an aperture sight front and back on your muzzle loader you only have to focus on the target, your eyes will automatically center things. We shoot creedmore 8,9 1000 yrds with black powder cartridge with this sight system and it works very well for ahem.. ageing eyes;)

Bruce, If you can rig an aperture sight front and back on your muzzle loader you only have to focus on the target, your eyes will automatically center things. We shoot creedmore 8,9 1000 yrds with black powder cartridge with this sight system and it works very well for ahem.. ageing eyes;)
I'll have to check that out. Thanks. That's always sounded pretty exciting to me....those kinda distances.

Back