Happy happy Joy!! Cephas Ham Bowie Info!!

pocomoonskyeyes

I am on Cloud NINE!!! As some of you may know, I am particularly drawn to the Cephas Ham Bowie, on Display at the Alamo. After some searching, I finally found how to get in touch with the Curator of the museum and asked for the Dimensions on said knife.

I just Got a reply and he is from Kentucky!! He will be glad to supply me with the Dimensions of this historical blade!! I am literally laughing I am so happy!! I REALLY want to make this knife!! For one, it is "Unusual" when compared to most Bowie designs we are familiar with. Most would not (probably) even call it a Bowie. But this is the knife I really want to do a Reproduction of. Oh Boy!! (Can you tell I am Excited!!)2thumbs Somebody tell me to calm down!! OK Mel, sit down and shut up NOW!!dog1

As soon as I get them Sir Pugglesworth!! I REALLY want to make this knife!! Do NOT ask me why???:confused: I could not even begin to say why I am so enthralled with this blade!!

I really and truly expected a nice "refusal" letter. You know something along the lines of " We appreciate your interest in this item, However........." But the answer was more along the lines of "SURE!!" I was floored!

For those who may be curious, I drew up some rough plans that are ROUGH!!! I did this planning on a 10" blade and a 5" handle for 15" overall. Just thinking of what it seem a lot of Bowies are designed around, 10"-18" OAL and shot for the middle ground. It just didn't seem right from what I could see of the picture,and really got me questioning the actual size/scale. I drew up a rough blade for use with 2" wide stock and 1 1/2" wide stock. I just wanted to get an idea of this blade on paper. This is NOT what I would use as a template, just a rough sketch to help in visualizing this knife. The Graph paper is 1/4" squares.

I won't post the Picture of the actual knife on display for worry of Copyright Infringement. Here's My drawings, and if you compare them to the picture I linked to, I think you can see why I asked the Curator for actual dimensions.

img006.jpg

i like that blade shape, it would make a good general use knife, Great, now i gotta make one too. Thanks poco :p

No need to be embarassed, gentlemen! We all know how it is when a particular knife catches your eye. If you don't get that excited sometimes, what's the point?

Back