Handle texturing tutorial

Bill Coye

Knife Maker
I first saw this described on another forum posted by Ken Brock. Since then, I've seen variations on this theme. Some guys are using die grinders or putting sanding drums in drill presses. A round file or wooden dowel with sand paper would work as well.

In this case, I'm using G10 for the handles. Once the handle material is brought to the tang, I zipped off the corby bolts.

1-20.jpg

2-15.jpg

From my experience, it's best to use a sharp belt otherwise it tends to grab.
3-10.jpg

I use a pencil to draw a line as a reference to keep both sides symetrical.
4-8.jpg

At a 45' angle, begin to make small cuts along the edge.
5-7.jpg

6-3.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

Now, connect the edge cuts by rolling the scale over the face of the 1/2" contact wheel.
10.jpg

Either go at a 45' angle again at each new high spot along the edge and/or just repeat the step above.
11.jpg

Switch to the 1" wheel and remove material where the finger choil is located.
13.jpg

A little WD-40 or Rem oil and the scales clean right up.
12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

I leave the finish at the 120 grit belt used for texturing.

You'll want to grip the knife handle firmly to find any sharp areas that need to be addressed.

Now you've got an aggressive, extra-grippy knife handle.

Tag, you're it!

Last edited:
What size wheel is that? oops nvm didnt have my glasses on. 1"

Rusty, I do most of the handle work with a 1/2" wheel and switch over to the 1" for the finger choil area.

I've also switched up between the 1/2" and the 1" on larger knives but for those little knives I stick to the 1/2" wheel for most of the work.

BC

Had a question about the finish:

I use a 120 grit belt for the texturing and leave it that way - no additional sanding of any kind is used.

BC

Tanks for te tutorial.
I ave just used it, but wit a Dremel as I don´t ave a small weel adapter on my belt rinder, and it worked fine.

This looks better and is appears far more controlable than my attempts. Many thanks!

NEW TO THE FOURM,LOVE IT,MAN I REALLY LIKE YOUR KNIVESAND THANKS FOR THE LESSON ON HOW YOU FINISH YOUR HANDLES,I BELIEVE I WILL TRY IT,THANKS AGAIN

Back