Hand Tapper

While we are on the subject, any recommendations on tapping thick titanium? I'm doing 2-56 holes and they are a booger!:eek:

I've drawn out a design for a hand tapper. It would hold the tap at as close to 90 degrees as I can get it.

I haven't made it yet, but would you like me to PM you my idea?

Thanks Stan. I have the catalog and was thinking about that. I guess I'm looking more for something I can make. I'm just begging for abuse.:beg:

Have you tried the google ?

google images gives 100's of photos

http://www.finelinehair.com/home/hand_tapper.htm

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?view=classic&ProductID=2898

minihandtapper02.jpg

Great Idea. But I was thinking about a small tapmatic head on a small drill press. I seen the heads on Ebay for less than 100.00. Any thoughts?

I'm sure you could get one that you "hang" in your drill press that will give you thealignment. I'll bet they are about $26.04 the USA. I bought mine from KBC tools. I use it for all my folder screws and I use a lot of 0 X 80 size. It allows me to wear the taps out without breaking them. The part is NO. IS1-397-513 and is on page 133 of their catalog. Frank

I'm sure you could get one that you "hang" in your drill press that will give you thealignment. I'll bet they are about $26.04 the USA. I bought mine from KBC tools. I use it for all my folder screws and I use a lot of 0 X 80 size. It allows me to wear the taps out without breaking them. The part is NO. IS1-397-513 and is on page 133 of their catalog. Frank

Frank, you're a little bit off on the U.S. price. They are currently $18.60 when ordered from the U.S. website. Thanks for making me spend more money on another tool :p:D

I was told by a couple of people that if you tapping 1/8 thick or thicker Ti that the ends of both holes should be chamfered. The other thing you can do is use thread forming taps instead of thread cutting taps. And last, take a slightly larger drill and open up 1/2 of the hole so your tapping less material. So if your tapping .125 TI drill down .050 or so with a larger drill so your only tapping .075.

Back