Gun-Kote sources?

Ed are you using the satin clear? Does the baking process change the temper at all?
Yes, Either satin or matte clear ONLY! (which ever you choose/like the best). In my experience, I choose satin, because the matte is way more visible in the finished product then satin. The gloss clear looks horrible....line the blade has a plastic coating. (see my pics earlier in this thread) Even though the label may say "bake at 325F" make sure you bake the blade(s) at 300F for AT LEAST 1 1/2 hours. Higher temps will start causing straw colors to appear, like show up with tempering oxides.

In this case, use GLOSS black for the first coat that entirely covers the blade, then bake, and as described above, CAREFULLY hand sand the black off the high portions of the topography. Then use the satin VERY LIGHTLY for the final coating of the blade..... bake again, and your done.

Now you have a Damascus (or other type of steel that is prone to tarnish/rust) that you have made near zero maintenance required. ;) Historically, the excuse people had/have for not buying a Damascus blade is "Too much maintenance required," I've found that since I started using Gun-Kote nearly a decade ago, it's been directly responsible for a significant increase in the sale of Damascus bladed knives for me.

Ed, will you share your process for cleaning the blades before applying both applications of Gunkote?
I clean first with acetone, and then, because acetone evaporates so rapidly, it sometimes leave a residue behind.... so the second cleaning is with windex.
***By the way...here's a trick with "windex"..... if you happen to have a Big Lots store around, go there and buy 1/2 gallon jugs of both "window cleaner" and ammonia..... it's a $1 per 1/2 gallon. I then mix 2/3 window cleaner with 1/3 ammonia. THEN you have some kick butt "Windex" ;)

Dry all the windex you can, then a light blast from the air hose to get it out of any nooks or crannies.

Through the entire process, nitrile or latex gloves!!! That's not to protect you... it's to protect the blade(s) from contamination.

Good afternoon, all. I've finished all but one of the knights, and started to take some pictures. Here's the only one that came out decent enough to post:
20210805_120942.jpg
The round side is hard for me to get pictures using my phone. I've got a friend who does photography and will post more pics when I get them. But I need to make the board first, so it might be a while....

Good afternoon, all. I've finished all but one of the knights, and started to take some pictures. Here's the only one that came out decent enough to post:
View attachment 78850
The round side is hard for me to get pictures using my phone. I've got a friend who does photography and will post more pics when I get them. But I need to make the board first, so it might be a while....
Inspirational sir. I used to love chess. Did you make a board yet for this set? Never mind I starred at the picture so much I missed the part about the board.

Looking good Billy!!

OK who here has a chess.com account? I play all the time (not that I'm a high rating or anything haha)

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to get to the board next week when we get back into triple digit temps.

Back