Guided Sharpening systems

Justin W.

Hey guys I have been looking into getting a guided sharpening system. Iv'e seen cheap ones and I have seen really expensive ones. I have also seen ones that you can make(which I would totally be up for if I found one that worked well). I have been using my belt grinder lately and would like to give one of these things a go but I am feeling a bit lost as for what I should go with. Any guidance is appreciated.

I use a KME for the last 2 years- gives a consistent edge everytime and the diamond stones last forever.

OK I believe I have seen both of those but what makes then so expensive they look like filing jigs with whetstone but maybe I am missing something

Justin....I have thought the same thing....they look simple.
I believe what you are paying for is the engineering....they work. All the kinks/bugs have been ironed out...a home brew could work too...but probably will need tweaking. Time vs money....lol

I used a KME but it seemed like it took forever even with the diamond stones. I used to dread sharping a new knife. Got a good deal on a AMK-75 at the blade show last year and I love it. It's the best thing I've bought for the shop. The KME is under the workbench. :)

AMK-75.jpg

I think this is what you are speaking of!

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Delux...0046&sr=8-3&keywords=lansky+sharpening+system

They are fairly cheap especially now! $30 plus shipping. If you have a sporting good store in the area you can probably buy one there. They solve the age old problem that most people have that can't sharpen a knife!!

I have always sharpened my own without any mechanical assistance. The key to getting a good edge on a knife is consistency! Every stroke you take that is not 100% identical to the last stroke, does nothing for the final sharpness! That is exactly why most folks can't sharpen a knife. Each pass is at different angle.

The first time I sharpened a knife on one. I set up the knife and went thru all grits counting the number of strokes I made flipped the knife and did the same thing. It was sharp but not as good as I could do by hand. So I went back and went thru the grits. I did a total of about 5 strokes on each side. I still was not satisfied. So I started doing one stroke per side on each grit, then I went back and made one stroke per side on the two finest grits. Then the final edge was done with the finest stone I have one stroke per side.

When I got done it was as sharp as a razor blade, once I stropped the knife I got a little nervous. The knife was a present for a fellar's Grandson. I emailed the guy and told him. I do not know the level of expertise your Grandson has in handling a knife, please be careful as this knife is sharp! After he received the knife he emailed me back and asked how I sharpened it. He said, I am avid hunter and have been around knives all my life,...…….. and that is probably the sharpest knife I have ever seen!!

Hey guys...watch Ed Caffrey's video on sharpening...worn slack belt and buffing wheel...has it shaving like a razor in about 20 seconds....sorry to toss in a different method here....lol!

I need to look up Ed's video - that's what I use. I have a Tormek that works "pretty good". I now use my 2X72 running in reverse with a good sharp 400 grit J-flex, followed up with an old belt turned backward and loaded with green compound. As Ted says, a couple of passes with the 400 grit belt to get a nice burr, then the green compound. The typical knife will shave leg (don't have much hair on arms) without really feeling any drag.

Ken H.

I'd forgotten about that sharpening video until Ted mentioned it! Its a pretty informal video, and is one of the freebies on KnifeMakerTraining.com

When it comes to sharpening, there are differing schools of thought..... some prefer a known edge angle, so they can relay that information to their clients/customers, and then there are those, such as myself, who loath angles on edges. I prefer convex edges, as I have found it produces far less cutting resistance, especially over the long term of repetitive sharpenings, versus specific angles on a blade's edge.

The video is about producing a convex edge, rather than a given angle. The question is often asked.... How do I sharpen by hand, if the blade doesn't have a specific edge angle. The answer is.... when sharpening by hand, on a stone, rather then pushing into the edge..... and using a motion like trying to shave a thin slice off the stone, the blade is drawn away from the edge, and the natural motion of the hand/arm creates/follows a motion to produce a convex edge.

Last edited:
Back