Giving Up The Hammer

DanF

I always said that when I retired I'd get a real anvil for forging. Eighteen months later my thumbs are saying, "no more".

That sucks, but at least I can still do stock removal.
What do you do with a 152 lb paperweight??

How disappointing that must be! Maybe just keep the anvil for old memories sake.
Sounds like a good idea, might paint it flat black to protect it from rust and set it out in front of the shop.

It's a Peter Wright, an old swaybacked, rode hard and put up wet war horse of an anvil.

Isn't it the pits? Just about the time we think we've got things figured out, our bodies start going south on us. There was a time when I could swing a hammer 12 hours a day, and not have any issues...... but those days are past. Thankfully I listened to some "old timers" who warmed me in my younger years that one day I'd probably not be capable of swinging the hammer like that.....which is the reason I have the air hammer and press in the shop. I'd like to keep doing this for as long as possible. All the best to you Dan!

I would definitely keep the anvil. Probably a lot of memories there and you might want the break it out every now and then if ya get that forging bug.

I have a very small hammer I built, thinking a press would be beneficial since I like messing about with simple, low layer pattern steel.
I was given a log splitter with no motor (perfect!). Just ordered a book on how to build a press. Even if I dont use all of it I have a good start. Was thinking of buying one but I'm a serious hobbyist and 5kish for a press is beyond me right now.

Keep your anvil. There might not be a flat spot on it but still. Everyone has things that they don't use anymore. It's like giving up part of yourself.

Back