Gas Forge Blower Recommendation?

DanF

I'm finishing up my small 20lbs propane tank forge and am looking for a blower that will give me years of service.

Chamber is 378 cu inches (+/-), Approx 6.5" chamber diameter and 10.75" long. I have a small pass-through slit in the rear and front will have adjustable brick doors. Primary use is HT and welding billets that will not fit my Atlas mini.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

This would be the MINIMUM I would recommend. With a blower, you can always choke it down, but once you reach it's maximum capacity (and need more), there's nothing you can do. These blowers are designed for forge applications, and I've been using the same one for over a decade. Don't let anyone talk you into using a "squirrel cage" blower....... if you use the forge much at all, you'll be buying a new one ever other month due to the windings overheating and burning out the motor.

https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/gas-forge-blower-2-5.html

Personally, I have the 4" version on my welding forge, and it's very often ran at max capacity.

Thank you, I had looked at the 112 cfm they have listed earlier but wasn't sure that would be enough.
Placed the order for the 125, thanks again for the suggestion.

This would be the MINIMUM I would recommend. With a blower, you can always choke it down, but once you reach it's maximum capacity (and need more), there's nothing you can do. These blowers are designed for forge applications, and I've been using the same one for over a decade. Don't let anyone talk you into using a "squirrel cage" blower....... if you use the forge much at all, you'll be buying a new one ever other month due to the windings overheating and burning out the motor.

https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/gas-forge-blower-2-5.html

Personally, I have the 4" version on my welding forge, and it's very often ran at max capacity.
That is the same blower I have on my forge, works great! not sure where Bruce bought it, his is the same brand just a little less cfm

Attachments

• cropped forge.jpg
    cropped forge.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 17
I tried everyway under the sun to not to buy one of these. blower_112.jpg

Then one day in aggravation I had a moment with my old blower. It would quit and start, it was hard adjust and it always seemed to act up at the most inopportune moment! One day while it was having one of its fits.

So I had one of my own! I snatched the old blower off of the forge ripping the cord free, sparks flew.

I then went into pitchers mode, pitching the bottom of the 9th inning and two outs already, and this next pitch and strike would win the game. I threw it just as far as I could. After I composed myself a bit I walked out to the yard to get it. Suddenly as I approached my anvil this little voice in my head was saying "oh yeah, go for it"!

I stopped at the anvil and I selected the largest hammer I had and...……….. well you get the idea.

When the new one got here I wired it in and I have never looked back. Believe me, it is well spent money!!

Buying

I have a bounce house blower that I got used on Ebay to power my blown forge. It works well and if I remember right it was about $60 with shipping. You just have to look.

Doug

I tried everyway under the sun to not to buy one of these. View attachment 64733

Then one day in aggravation I had a moment with my old blower. It would quit and start, it was hard adjust and it always seemed to act up at the most inopportune moment! One day while it was having one of its fits.

So I had one of my own! I snatched the old blower off of the forge ripping the cord free, sparks flew.

I then went into pitchers mode, pitching the bottom of the 9th inning and two outs already, and this next pitch and strike would win the game. I threw it just as far as I could. After I composed myself a bit I walked out to the yard to get it. Suddenly as I approached my anvil this little voice in my head was saying "oh yeah, go for it"!

I stopped at the anvil and I selected the largest hammer I had and...……….. well you get the idea.

When the new one got here I wired it in and I have never looked back. Believe me, it is well spent money!!

Buying

Do they still sell the smaller version of that blower? I have looked and can only find the big one like that. The others are a different style.

Do they still sell the smaller version of that blower? I have looked and can only find the big one like that. The others are a different style.
Yesterday they had the 112 and 125 in stock. They have very few of the 112's, I was told the manufacturer wasn't making them any longer, when they are gone, that's it.

I had a gas forge years ago that I used a blower from a zerox copy machine, I don't know if they still make them with those blowers or not but it was great, it had vanes in it like a turbo and sounded like a small jet engine on start up.

20180926_132921.jpg
Waiting for two fittings to come in then I can get everything put together, wire the pid and TC and see what this will do.

I was at Quad State last week and visited with John Elliot. He has blowers now and look to be better constructed and at a much better price than the one shown above. Not only that instead of a short power cord it has one long enough to be useful. Here is it's url.
http://www.blacksmithsupply.com/Electric-Forge-Blower--25-inch-_p_262.html. I just posted a review on it's page if you would like to look at it.

Let me know if I can help you.

20180928_162501_crop_489x489.jpg
When your shop is a mere 12x20, you have to utilize your space as best you can.
The small forge was on the red cart to the left and the 30 lb tank was free floating on the floor. Now everything g is self-contained on one mobile cart I can wheel outside when the weather is nice.

Dan, that blower is the one I was commenting about above, except that Blacksmith Supplies is green. Where did you git this one and how much was it?

Back