Full time?

Chef Niloc

A thread on another bored got me wondering, who many of you di it full time. I.E don't have a day job and pay the bills making knives and or leather goods? I never thought you all made 6 figures doing it but I did think it payed the bills?

I know quite a few of the guys doing it fulltime but I'll let them respond.For myself, I do this fulltime, but I also make knives as well as doing leatherwork for other makers.But, if your only doing leatherwork, its very hard to make a decent living unless you are doing a variety of goods like holsters,saddles etc.,I know a couple folks that do but its tough.You certainly won't get rich,you need to keep a serious budget, and keep your needs and wants to a minimum.There is also alot of parttime makers out there, that can keep thier prices much lower because they don't count on orders to eat.I recently had a knifemaker in New York contact me about doing sheaths for him as his sheathmaker had quit making due to health problems.This maker was doing his sheaths for $15.00 each.Kind of hard to get close to that, if you use quality materials and want to pay your bills.All said, I love doing what I do, but its certainly not for everybody.Dave

I do it full time, but for me it was all part of a plan. To explain, I retired from the military about 8 years ago. I've been making knives since about my 4 year point in my military career. After attending my first couple of knife shows, it was very evident to me that in order to do this full time, and still enjoy it without it being unduly stressful, would require something more in the way of income. One of the primary reasons that I "stuck it out" and completed a military career, was because I knew I would have a steady retirement check coming in, and also very affordable health insurance for the rest of my life.
I can remember in my early days of knifemaking, thinking just how "rich" all the "high profile" makers must be, and hoping that maybe someday I might get there too. What I discovered as I "climbed the ladder' was/is that even the majority of "high profile" knifemakers who do not have other sources of income, live a VERY meager existence, in many cases hand to mouth. I only realized this a few years ago, while talking with a group of makers at the Blade Show. Listening, I found myself astounded that many of them spoke of how they had to sell the knives they had brought to the show, in order to get back home! One even mentioned that he had taken out a loan so he could attend the show.

In reality, the facts are that nobody "needs" a custom knife. Any money that a custom knifemaker makes is based on somebody else's disposable income. If times are such that people either do not have disposable income, or perceive they do not, then custom knife sales decline.
The key to being successful as a full time maker is diversification, just as Dave mentioned. I not only produce custom knifes, but also grinder platens, custom grinding and heat treating, forging hammers, forge plans, as well as offering Knifemaking classes, and teaching at various events around the world.
There is a saying among many full time knifemakers....."Behind ever successful full time Maker, is a spouse with a really good job!" :)

All of this basically applies to just about any "craft" where "non-necessity" items are concerned.

Last edited:
I'd sure second what Ed & Dave have stated. Full time means a belt with lots of holes in it( mostly the smaller size) I can't tell you how many times I've jumped at chance's to catch up on the bills. For over 32 years I've pretty much build saddles & saddle trees full time, but for the last five winters have taken a 3 to 4 month break to hunt for our state game dept. No jump in pay, just no material bill and I do it for the same reason as the leather work "love of the job"

In reality, the facts are that nobody "needs" a custom knife.

Nobody "needs" a Ferrari or a Rolex, either. Or a million-dollar mansion, or a yacht, or a fur coat... you get the point.

If you want to build the very best and make a living at it, it's a question of going where the money is to sell it. Where that money is, I'm not sure... but it's dang sure not at WallyWorld or the typical gunshow/flea-market. Sadly, even going to the really prestigious knife shows don't pay the rent for most makers I've asked. It's an advertising investment at best.

Maybe those of us who are trying to make a living need to stop beating ourselves up by saturating our narrow fanbase with knives they don't need, and reach out to new people. Stop reading Field & Stream and start looking at Sporting Classics (for instance)... there are plenty of people out there who have no problem dropping $15K on a week's hunting or $5K on a custom rifle they'll use once or twice in a lifetime, then pass it on to their kids... doesn't it seem they might also like a really nice handmade hunting knife?

What I'm trying to say is, I think we get real comfortable with the "in crowd" because knifemakers and collectors are generally really cool folks, and pat us on the back for being starving artists. That feeds my ego, but it don't feed my kid. It's awesome that our tiny little industry helps new guys like me with advice and information! I'm eternally grateful for that, don't get me wrong.

But we're a tiny blip on the radar of a huge market, and it's our own fault if we don't reach out beyond the tightly-knit group of folks who are all trying to share the same sliver of pie.

There is a saying among many full time knifemakers....."Behind ever successful full time Maker, is a spouse with a really good job!"

I confess, I'd still be slinging ink in a horribly-run print shop, working for people I despised if I hadn't invested every penny I ever saved into tools/shop and didn't have a good woman who works a "real" job. But I get kinda miffed at the idea that a person can't make an honest living by providing quality product.

About 67 years ago, as a young aviation metalsmith in the Navy, I had occasion to make a few knives as I had all the equipment the government could provide. After a serious mishap and a long hospital stay in which leathercraft was a major therapy, I entertained the idea of making knives and sheaths as an avocation upon my disability discharge. I firmly believed that I could turn this new love into a comfortable living. Three weeks after my discharge World War II came to an end. Shortly thereafter one could purchase a new Kabar combat knife for less than a dollar still packed in cosmoline. Not a good time time to start building knives. No knives--no sheaths! Over the years I built gun belts, holsters, handcuff cases, cartridge cases for the officers that I served with on a large southern city police department. I continued in leather craft for many years, and attended a saddle makers school under the GI bill in California. At no time did I ever feel that my passion was anything other than a "kicker" to my livlihood. I am now 88 years of age, retired, and able to still pursue the delights of a craft that I love. I have made friends, become reasonably respected in the craft and manage to work in my shop 5 to 6 days a week at a pace reduced to enjoyment rather than employment. I firmly believe that a livlihood can be eked out of either or both knife making and sheath construction--provided one wishes to work hard in a feast or famine attitude. The necessity of production will rapidly diminish the love of your work and also the desire to improvise true custom craftsmanship. I never desired to change my passion for the unusual into a "job"--------------------------------If one has the skills in marketing, ability to advertise and promote succesfully a quality product, a living can be achieved. You can be assured that if it is your only income that you will not be driving Bentleys or Rolls Royce's-------Sandy

About 67 years ago, as a young aviation metalsmith in the Navy, I had occasion to make a few knives as I had all the equipment the government could provide. After a serious mishap and a long hospital stay in which leathercraft was a major therapy, I entertained the idea of making knives and sheaths as an avocation upon my disability discharge. I firmly believed that I could turn this new love into a comfortable living. Three weeks after my discharge World War II came to an end. Shortly thereafter one could purchase a new Kabar combat knife for less than a dollar still packed in cosmoline. Not a good time time to start building knives. No knives--no sheaths! Over the years I built gun belts, holsters, handcuff cases, cartridge cases for the officers that I served with on a large southern city police department. I continued in leather craft for many years, and attended a saddle makers school under the GI bill in California. At no time did I ever feel that my passion was anything other than a "kicker" to my livlihood. I am now 88 years of age, retired, and able to still pursue the delights of a craft that I love. I have made friends, become reasonably respected in the craft and manage to work in my shop 5 to 6 days a week at a pace reduced to enjoyment rather than employment. I firmly believe that a livlihood can be eked out of either or both knife making and sheath construction--provided one wishes to work hard in a feast or famine attitude. The necessity of production will rapidly diminish the love of your work and also the desire to improvise true custom craftsmanship. I never desired to change my passion for the unusual into a "job"--------------------------------If one has the skills in marketing, ability to advertise and promote succesfully a quality product, a living can be achieved. You can be assured that if it is your only income that you will not be driving Bentleys or Rolls Royce's-------Sandy

Thank you Sir,for your service.At 88 years old,and still able to do
what you love,you have been blessed.May you continue to be blessed
and able to do what you love.
Thanks again,

God bless,Keith

Chef I dont know prices well but Ill try to anser the best I can . It all comes down to tallent but some time the gift of the gab doesnt hurt . I myself let my work speak for itself and I dont make high end sheaths as they can sell for as much or more than the knife depends on if you want 24 k gold inlay and so on . My general average sheath would sell for 50 to 75 dollars depending on time and material used. But a sheath made by a master would be hundreds for sure.I think Dave would know better than me.

A good sheath sells my knives as well as my knives sell my knives.
If you are offering a quality product at a fair price, I don't see how you can go wrong.
Dwayne,or leatherman on this forum builds all of mine, I hope he is making a living cause I sure could not replace him!
Chad

Thank you Chad, that means a lot to me. :cool:

Yup, we're hanging on by our fingernails, barely, but still in the shop working my tail off as long as I am capable. Full time sheath making is definitely not for the weak of heart especially in this economic climate.

A serious passion for the craft keeps me going strong.

Back