Specifications:
Bladesmith: Taigoo
Knifemaker: Chuck Burrows
Sheath & Stand: Chuck Burrows

Knife: OAL 14.25" - balances at guard
Blade: W2 - 9.25" long x 2"wide handforged by Tai Goo
Handle: Colorado mule deer crown
Guard and fittings: German silver guard with cast pewter ferrule and buttcap
Sheath: deer rawhide with hand carved beavertail motif over bark tan core.
Sheath decoration: So Cheyenne style pound beaded braintan cuff. Full beaded edge of blade section
- Brass tacks
- Beaded and fringed drop
- Fringed cuff edges with German silver beads, buffalo hair pipes, and tin cones
- Tin cone, glass bead, and horsehair dangles
Display Stand:
- width: 11.375"
- length: 15.25"
- Higth without knife and sheath: 11"
- Deoration:
- black cowhide cover with rawhide corners
- aternating iron and brass tacks along all edges
- mule deer antler uprights with beaded braintan wraps
- mule deer leg bone stops for holding balde and sheath in poistion
- tin cone and horse hair dangles
- Circular buffalo hide drop with hair on one side and beaded cross and circle on the other

Wow!

That is one you got to study as there is a lot going on in that pic!

Awesome work.

One hell of a calabration on that one Chuck and Tai! :35:

Did I say WOOOOOOOOOW!:biggrin:

Today, the 16th of April completes my 89th year on this planet. Over 65 years of that time has been occupied by my attempts to do memorable leather work. That I might have succeeded is debatable, I gave it my best shot. In that period of time I have had the privelege of knowing some of the finest artisans in the craft. Notable in their craftsmanship and the friendship that they have extended to me. One of the high points in those years was the time that I was able to spend with Chuck Burrows and his lovely wife Linda. The friendship that originated there will remain with me forever. The distance that has separated us is vast and prohibits close contact, Damn shame! In my mind, Chuck Burrows is a National Heritage, an inspired teacher, and the most giving of himself that I have ever known. In my heart, I do not feel that I have overstated the admiration I have for him, but considerably understated!

Today, the 16th of April completes my 89th year on this planet. Over 65 years of that time has been occupied by my attempts to do memorable leather work. That I might have succeeded is debatable, I gave it my best shot. In that period of time I have had the privelege of knowing some of the finest artisans in the craft. Notable in their craftsmanship and the friendship that they have extended to me. One of the high points in those years was the time that I was able to spend with Chuck Burrows and his lovely wife Linda. The friendship that originated there will remain with me forever. The distance that has separated us is vast and prohibits close contact, Damn shame! In my mind, Chuck Burrows is a National Heritage, an inspired teacher, and the most giving of himself that I have ever known. In my heart, I do not feel that I have overstated the admiration I have for him, but considerably understated!

Congrats Mr. Morrissey.

You don't know me, But I know of you and your Beautiful leather work!
Happy Birthday! and may you have many more!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Chuck, you and Tai have created a masterpiece. When I look at your sheathwork I am immediately taken to a time long ago. I can picture a very proud warrior wearing his Bowie with honor.

Thank you all for the kind words...

and mi amigo Sandy - that's got to be the best Birthday present I ever got - even if it's not my birthday!

PS Linda says HI! and Happy Birthday ya old coot!!!

:eek:
Chuck, you and Tai have created a masterpiece. When I look at your sheathwork I am immediately taken to a time long ago. I can picture a very proud warrior wearing his Bowie with honor.

Not to mention the work that goes into beading, I bought the books, that Chuck recommended on the subject and I have tried it a few times :what!:.......................well lets just say with less than stellar results.

The process was making the bills flow into that cuss jar so heavily :p...........it was about to break me!!!:biggrin: It's just not the easiest thing to do, not to mention the problems I have with fumbling the beads, or missing the stitch, etc. etc. etc!

This piece is like looking at a painting, every time I look at it I see something I missed the time before! It's like the whole thing is telling a story!

This is one awesome, piece!

Last edited:
I'll slip my former federal archaeologist's cap on for a moment.
That is some outstanding period work! If I was displaying this it would be center stage of an early 19th century western artifact display. I can see a First Nations wife of an army scout or trapper making something identical to this. Solid craftsmanship and high art in leather and bead work.

Back