Rounded Ricasso edge
Damascus guard and spacer of 1084/15n20 mix
Rounded guard edges
Coined and blued spacers
African Blackwood handle
Checkered and blued finial nut

All comments and discussion welcome.

John
Another hit. The blade is just cool. It looks like san mai but isn't. Is it? I'm guessing some form of hamon and a darkened blade. Etchiong? Very neat effect, nonetheless.
DeMo

That is one beautiful knife. I really like the coined spacers. They really add to the overall look and give it some texture. Expertly done.

John your work is always a pleasure to see...your precision and attention to detail keep me striving to better my skills at every step. Thank you for posting your work as the inspiration of makers like you make us all better.

Don McNeil

Wow. Hamon on the blade, damascus spacer with checkering? Potentially dumb question from a rookie but, how did you get the step in the butt or pommel? File or router?

Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback. You guys are too kind.

Darrin, I made a little button stud sheath with a thong strap for it. Never got any pics of that.

Justin, this was a commissioned piece. If you ever want to discuss an order or prices or be on my email list for available knives, send me an email at jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com

Walt- that's good old hand filing on the butt end. It's become sort of a trademark of mine. I have seen it done once with a router and it left a lot to be desired IMO. It'd be super hard to follow all the contours evenly with a router. A lot of practice filing helps. It's difficult to keep it nice and uniform over contours on two planes, even by hand with files. I can tell you this...having your handle symmetrical and even side to side before you start is crucial to success here.

Thanks again all of you for the comments.

John,
Why this makes more of a fashion statement that even the all blacked out Chevy Suburbans The folks over in the cheap rents have build for their private limos where I live. Very :cool: looking.

All joking aside about the color scheme, You have once again done a perfect balance of proportion & art in constructing this beauty. With just the right amount of detail eye candy. No Jimping required!:35:

Back