First Two Sheaths...

Steven Long

Still need to stitch and dye them but almost done.

2013Progress003_zpsc9ca1da7.jpg

Thank you so much, Mike! I spent the last two days, non stop, to get the basics out of the way and ended up with this. Even took off work yesterday because of it. I get a little obsessed sometimes.

Great looking work! Nicely done on the stitching! I haven't decided if I like the squared bottom or not but it is different. What did you do the indentations on the sheath with. They almost remind me of burn marks you get on your leathers when welding( you know the burn pox)!:biggrin:

Thanks, guys! I will post some more pics tonight as I finished a few extras this past week. Think I almost finished 6. A few didn't make the cut so I started new ones.

Great looking work! Nicely done on the stitching! I haven't decided if I like the squared bottom or not but it is different. What did you do the indentations on the sheath with. They almost remind me of burn marks you get on your leathers when welding( you know the burn pox)!:biggrin:

Thanks, buddy.

I haven't decided on the sqaured bottom either :D...

I used stamps (?) That had different size spheres on the tips. Then adjust your pressure for a variety of different size dimples.

Last edited:
This is what I have accomplished over the past 5 days...

2013Progress008_zps3af438df.jpg

2013Progress009_zps47b13265.jpg

2013Progress010_zps580e5f05.jpg

2013Progress011_zpsfc5d939b.jpg

I guess the title should read "first 6 sheaths" now.

Steven, thanks for the info, I think I like the knife shaped sheaths better but, your workmanship is awesome, especially for just getting started off!

Great job! From what I can tell, your edges look good...which is one thing most people neglect when making sheaths. Show some edge pictures next time! :)

I like the dimpling effect you used, almost reminds me of raindrops.

Still lovin' your sheath work Steve!

How do you punch your holes so they come out even on the back side?

I see a Sheath WIP in your future..lol

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Means a lot coming from y'all.

Don, I took the idea from Chuck Burrows' video and glued the welt to one side and punched my holes on that side. Folded and glued the sheath and then finished punching the holes through the other side. Worked out pretty good. There are still a few squirly ones but not too bad.

Back