First time ever working with leather...first 2 sheaths.

J

jstalljon

Be easy on me gents... ;) I have never worked with leather before, but since homemade fixed blade knives aren't very useful to carry without a nice pair of pants....I decided to try my hand at making leather sheaths as well.

Still some learning in this curve, but all in all I'm pleased with the results for the first two...the one on the right is not complete yet. Needs to be formed, and receive a coat of light stain.

DSC009222.JPG

DSC009211.JPG

DSC009232.JPG

Thanks to all on the forum for the pictures, tutorials, and links....extremely helpfull!

Really I think you did pretty well. Has the one on the right had a finish coat put on it yet? Also, have you burnished the edges?

Those sheaths look really good for the first time. Everything seems to be straight and even. It's hard to tell if you finished the edges. Good job.

Larry

Those look really great how did you form the one on the left. Have you ever considered using your drill pres and a small finish nail to make the stitching holes? I mark mine with a star wheel and then drill them with my drill press and a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to help keep the stitches vertical.

Thanks for the comments guys. The edges are pretty rough. I sanded them down on a belt sander, but would like a cleaner edge....what is the tool for that job, an edge beveler?

I'm just using a three, four, or single prong punch to do my holes right now...I've read about the nail and drill press method....do you guys find that easier and better looking?

I'm also going to invest in a stiching groover.

Any other feedback is appreciated.

The stitching groover will give you a great improvement . I started out using the drill press to make my holes but now do them with the Dremel freehand. I make my groove on the front side & then use the star wheel to mark where I want my holes on the front . I do the groove on the back but just eyeball the location of the hole , drilling from marked front to the back. Practice on some scrap leather 1st & I think you will do fine . A great tip from WildRose ( Chuck Burrows ) is to wet the stitches after finished sewing , tap them down with smooth faced hammer & run the star wheel back over your stitches . It sets the stitches deeper in the groove & gives a much more professional appearance.

Joe

Thanks for the comments guys. The edges are pretty rough. I sanded them down on a belt sander, but would like a cleaner edge....what is the tool for that job, an edge beveler?

I'm just using a three, four, or single prong punch to do my holes right now...I've read about the nail and drill press method....do you guys find that easier and better looking?

I'm also going to invest in a stiching groover.

Any other feedback is appreciated.

After you sand your edges, dampen them a bit and rub back and forth along them vigorously with a scrap of canvas (I use a piece of old jeans) until it starts to feel like tennis shoes sticking to a linoleum floor, then keep going for a few seconds. That should burnish your edges. As far as using an edge beveler, I usually do that after I use an aggressive grit of sandpaper (I hand sand) and before using a fine grit.

Way better than my first two sheaths, good job.

Canvas for a burnishing cloth can sometimes be hard to find. You can use a canvas glove for small items like a sheath. Work parafin wax into the part of the glove that is the handyest for you to rub the edge with.
Dampen the edge with a sponge and rub briscley, you want a carmel color and a glass look to your edge. ( a knifemaker could make a better edger than they sell right now)

Again great job2thumbs

Looking good, and I agree some work on the edges and you'll be on the road.Dave:)

Lots of good tips have already been posted for you to follow. I use tagnath gum and A deer antler tip to burnish the edges works excellent.

Back