First practice knife

redhorsetactical

zy2ejavu.jpg
qatyma9y.jpg
uravugaj.jpg
7a7ure6y.jpg
This is the first knife I've attempted to make. It is not heat treated or polished. The highest grit I used was 120 . I just wanted to give the new grinder a test run and also see what I'm going to be up against for a learning curve. It was easier and harder than I originally thought. I only have a 10 inch contact wheel which made things a wee bit difficult for small areas. I only used the wheel on this and a piece of hand sand paper. I started with a blaze 40 grit then moved to a 100 grit cheap belt and then a 120 cheap belt. I say cheap but it was the ao belt I believe its called. Sorry I'm still learning the terms and things. But I will say I'm freaking hooked now. The hollow grind was a bit easier than I anticipated . I was pretty intimidated by it but after watching and reading a lot of info on the process I was able to put the info to use and it was exactly as described. The wheel kind of walked right into it. I know its not perfect but I'm pretty stoked about doing it. Now I see how much more stuff I need to buy which is going to burn the wife a lil bit. Hahaha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's a real nice looking knife blank. You did very well on the grind the first time out; most of us don't come that close. Too bad that you didn't try heat treating it. It could have turned out real nice. BTW, nice job on the handle too.

Doug

I definitely appreciate it guys. I've got to look at heat treating 1080 to see if I can do it. I need to go buy some half round files and a round one until I'm able to afford the small wheel attatchment. And I've got to order some fine grit belts too. Unfortunately this is slow season in the tattoo world. But I am going to go get some fine grit paper to try to finish the next one off completely. The knife design I referenced a few knife designs online and kind of got what I had in my head out. I'm a big fan of simple so ill prob keep going in that direction. Thanks a lot for the kind words . I'm hooked now. And this is a great uplifting community to be a part of.

Nice knife for a first timer! 1080 is the most forgiving when it comes to heat treat. If you haven't seen it yet I think you should check out Josh's tutorial. I have read it beginning to end more than a few times and take something away from it every time. In my opinion it is the most informative thread that exists on the internet for a beginner wanting to make knives.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?28920-USAKnifemakers-Stage-1-knife-kit-Tutorial

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions here on KD. They guys here are great!

Thats a relly nice bladr, im disappointed its not a real one! Hurry and make lots :)

You're going to come to appreciate the 10", looks like it agrees with you. Nice grind first time out. Learn your machine and wheel and try getting off the wheel onto the slack belt for the tight spots.

Rudy

I definitely appreciate it guys. I've got to look at heat treating 1080 to see if I can do it. I need to go buy some half round files and a round one until I'm able to afford the small wheel attatchment. And I've got to order some fine grit belts too. Unfortunately this is slow season in the tattoo world. But I am going to go get some fine grit paper to try to finish the next one off completely. The knife design I referenced a few knife designs online and kind of got what I had in my head out. I'm a big fan of simple so ill prob keep going in that direction. Thanks a lot for the kind words . I'm hooked now. And this is a great uplifting community to be a part of.

RedHorse,
Looks fine by me! I like the deep blade. If you get a Foredom flexshaft hand drill you can do the small wheel Things and much more. There is a current thread asking about the Foredom that you can read.

Keep those knives coming! You are doing great!

thanks a lot akey ! I have some down time at work today im going to go read that tutorial for sure. yea this site is awesome and every one here has been more than helpful and very welcoming.
hahaha shokr i feel ya. i have some steel left and a few days off. im going to read the heat treating tutorial and try to completely finish a blade this week.
thanks rudy . yea the 10 inch wheel feels pretty good. i dont have a tool rest yet or a slack belt attachment or a platen but hopefully this weekend ill get the time to build one or two of those. i may try to make a small wheel of some sort out of a stack of bearings and heater hose just till i can get the money for the small wheel attachment.

Red,
I meant the slack belt above the wheel. There's many things you can do besides leaning into the wheel for the grind. That's why i said to learn your machine and wheel. Definitely get a small wheel of some sort, everything else I do freehand pretty much.

Rudy

Whelp I killed that knife. I got to heat treating it in a charcoal fire. Then tempered it. And went to finish grind with a trizact A45 belt. And it was doing great but I killed the hollow grind. I guess I couldn't pulit properly along the groove. Think looked like a diamond I tried to fix it but if I go more it'll just look to retarded to finish haha be like a 5 inch handle with an 1.5 inch blade. Oh well on to the next one. I might build a jig to help grind this time

Don't sweat it. We've all killed at least a few knives. As long as you learned something, it was worth it.

Just make the next one better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I've read that lol I was hoping my beginners luck would stretch through the finishing of that blade but no sweat the next one ill make bigger that way I have more mistake room hahaha

I've not had any lesson in patience and humility resound more thoroughly and completely than spending HOURS working carefully and deliberately- only to ruin a piece in like 30 seconds. It blew my mind. But everyone here has done it. Someone here told me something really great- instead of throwing it in the scrap bin, they hung that piece on the wall in front of their grinder, to remind them of their progress, and keep them careful. Your first one looked great- imagine your 10th blade, and don't get too frustrated with missteps to learn the lessons they hold.

Can't wait to see your second!

Hahaha you hit the nail on the head. I'm gonna mount it tomorrow lol. I def appreciate it man! I'm excited to grind again tomorrow . To correct where I flawed. Preactice practice practice

All of the above, and then some. Super fine for a first, and even better than many more experienced.

All of the above, and then some. Super fine for a first, and even better than many more experienced.

I definitely appreciate the positive feed back man. I'm looking forward to more knives ahead as well as more mistakes haha love learning

an armed society is a polite society

Back