First post, first knife made

Albatross

Been lurking for some time. Have been collecting knives since I was a teen. I am 44 and finally decided to make my first knife.

Bought an old file at a flea market and this is the result. Never worked with metal before. Got some cheap tools from harbor freight and this is the best I could do my first time. I know that I made a lot of mistakes. I ruined a crap load of material. But overall, I love the result and I am f$@ing hooked. Handle is a canvas micarta that I bought off Etsy.
ca1ce9075121b06fb8033c8d45cf860e.jpg

eee7b9306fe9799c3610afbd3d165faf.jpg

63999d8be74fb390bbfde4b97f212bda.jpg

70cc4f1059d621bb75b6b4ffa7fae94f.jpg

7ed461f5b1b9b22628bc91e2e4e49844.jpg

b7b0bc03cfc6d942de1c14c8fc623c47.jpg

222b0f9d665c3b68d1c97ee2b5dfb899.jpg

d5ef085862c9a933d330f4cc405d9035.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really nice! I like the blade shape and the pin work on the handle looks perfect.

Keep at it and you'll have a whole garage full of new knife making tools in no time...ask me how I know.

Welcome!

Just one piece of advice - don't EVER let that knife go. When it's the ugliest duckling in your collection you will still always hold the warmest place in your heart for your firstborn.

Ya did good. Make the next one now and incorporate what you've learned!

Last edited:
Everyone starts somewhere! Not bad for the first one. I will say, unless the file texture is what you are looking for, you will be better off buying steel vs using scrap. Keep it up!

Everyone starts somewhere! Not bad for the first one. I will say, unless the file texture is what you are looking for, you will be better off buying steel vs using scrap. Keep it up!

For me the attraction here is to take an old US made product like a file and repurpose it, give it new life. I’m going to try to pick up some used farriers rasps this weekend. Meanwhile I picked up another old file at a flea market last weekend and started working on a small bull cutter. Will be heat treating it later today.

Yep, I’m hooked, wife not happy. lol.

885576653bd62acb937fe10af06c3c95.jpg

For me the attraction here is to take an old US made product like a file and repurpose it, give it new life. I’m going to try to pick up some used farriers rasps this weekend. Meanwhile I picked up another old file at a flea market last weekend and started working on a small bull cutter. Will be heat treating it later today.

My wife gives me hell also. Then she buys me handle material for my birthday. Go figure.

My wife was not happy when I started buying expensive power tools. She became happy when I started making her kitchen knives. Her entire collection of Zwilling and Henkels are in a drawer somewhere now...

I just made one out of a file for myself - as an experiment to give local guys an alternative to the saw blades they usually use...

I thought it would be simple to draw it, shape it, and put a handle on. On mine I couldn't grind it (with a ceramic belt) until I did a 400 degree temper. I've used it a lot this fall and I'm pretty happy with it's edge holding - doing it that way. I might pass along the idea to them -even offer to do that part for them.

Congrats on your first knife - it looks good. That micarta gives it a raw look.

A little 4 inch angle grinder can do wonders on bevels.

I have a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder that I use to cut out the shape. Everything else is done on a cheap harbor fright 1x30 belt grinder. I just got a bunch of belts from red label abrasives and can’t wait to start using them. But as I progress I am always learning and trying new things. I have definitely seen videos where guys are working on bevels with angle grinders.

I have ruined 3 different pairs of scales in the past couple of days while trying to finish the little bull cutter I’m working on. Frustrated, waiting for the mail man to bring me more material.

Keep it up. Consider beveling or sanding a radius into the inside diameter of your lanyard tube edges. It looks like your paracord may be short lived as is.

Fun hobby, eh?

Back