First Knife Sheath

Matoskah

MelvinsKnifeandSheath006.jpg

I hope the photo link works! This is a photo of a "Green River Works" Sheep Skinner Knife I put handles on. But the sheath with it is my first attempt at sheath making. I studied Joe's tutorial and set out after it. I made this with cow rawhide, copper tacks, copper cones, horse hair and some beads I got on line. I need better beads! Went to Canton Texas this past weekend to the large flee market and hit the jack pot on beads. Got some old trade beads of all kinds. Started another knife blade today so that maybe this weekend I will be ready to try another sheath. I learned a lot making this first one. Tell me what you think!

You did a good job on the sheath, can't tell it's your first. You're right on the beads, it needs traditional beads to get the right look. Can't wait to see your next one.

Larry

Fantastic first attempt!! John Cohea will be proud of you. It does need to have those beads replaced though.

Paul

Looks good, John will definately be proud. When he calls,I'll send him right over this way.Dave2thumbs

Great looking sheath, except for the beads and that machined looking Cross. With the right beads you have a home run. Denny

Thanks guys for telling me what you think. This sheath was so much fun to make. I have the next one on the drawing board! It will be a neck knife sheath. I will post a photo of it in a few weeks. I should have the bead issue worked out!

I hope John, the Master, gets to look at it and tells me what he thinks. I studied his photos for several months then made this one.

Paul is see you are from Kerrville Texas. I am in Bossier City Louisiana. Lived in just outside of Abilene, Baird, for several years growing up. I go by Matoskah which is a Sioux Indian name meaning 'White Bear". I drive a White Jeep Wrangler and Baird High School football team was the "Baird Bears"! Matoskah--White Bear!

Thanks guys!

Hi Kevin.
The sheath looks REALLY good for a first shot at this style of sheath work, and I'm glad you found the tutorial useful!
I agree with the others that the correct beads would make it even more out standing, and if you switch to deer rawhide on the next one, it will look even better.
For some reason the beef rawhide tends to look a dull, but nonetheless the sheath still looks great and I am pleased , and you should be proud!

Back