first hollow grind

ironarmknives

Bladesmith & Forum Owner/Moderator
whats up!!!!! so now i have made my first hollow grind thanks to you guys getting my kid out in the shop ,i was in the shope last night with darci and she asked why i dont do hollow grinding ,also tapper the handles because all the top guys do it and i want you to be the top knife guy I just laughed ,"but it hit home" ,she then says, "you tell me all the time never do things half way,be the best you can be,when you play third base be the best third basegirl,so why dont you do what you say,if i'm going to be out here with you you must teach me how to hollow grind so start learning ,i want to be the best girl knife smith maker out there" hell guys she's a slave driver ,do you see what knife dogs have done ,stogie:beg:shakinso this is my first hollow grind ,i had first flat ground this knife but it still had a thick edge so i gave it a try next one will hollow ground from the start hope you can see the grind ,I like hollow grinding now it should only take a year to get good at "LOL. the center core of this billet is 52100 so thats the black edge of this knife should be one shap knife when done thanks for looking
Clint
DSC01351.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

Thats looking Great ! I think the majority of makers think it is easier to hollow grind than flat grind so I'll bet you'll pick it up quicker than you think. As the beginner that I am though I've had better success at flat grinding. Either way it's a great looking blade made of some fine looking steel to boot !

-Josh

I tried my first hollow grind this year and was shocked at how easy it was compaired to flat grinding. Just seemed to follow the grind once you start.

I flat ground for a long time because to be honest hollow grinding intimidated me. Once I finally hollow ground a knife I was amazed at how much easier it is compared to how it looks.

With flat grinding I got to where I could feel the flat, or the angle, with hollow grinding youll find once the hollow is established it is much easier to feel than a flat grind, or at least it is for me.

Looks good so far.
Now get that one finished and get us some pics.

BTW my 13 y/o wanted me to make her a small knife with a pink handle, after seeing your daughters post I think I will get her in the shop with me and let her make her own.2thumbs

Sean

Clint that is great! Can't wait for Roman to get a little older so I can show him and maybe teach him. He has taught me alot in six years.

Lookin good , especially on first shot at it. Youll pick up all kinds of tricks to even out, catch mistakes,and avoid the dreaded "center knife wobble"(where you accidently change pressure while crossing the belt.)

I think you'll find the grinding even easier to pick up on an unground blank. The thicker starting stock means that you can really set a deep hollow and then follow it for the rest of the time grinding.

Glad to see that you didn't just throw out the idea, many would have just continued doing what they knew already.

I've got a few I am working on now. I guess it would be easier with a contact wheel. Kind of a pain with a caster wheel.

:haha:

Paul

Back