First Folder

Frank Aguirre

Well this is officially my first folder completed. I am so giddy, and my wife was almost impressed.:eek: Its a friction folder, and a little rough around the edges so it will stay with me. It is 1084 steel with orange g10 scales. It seems to operate just fine. The only thing that I really didn't like was the tip is not centered. From what I gather When finishing the blade it became uneven or the drill press was not level/true. Any suggestions on this.

This might get addicting. Here it is. Thanks for looking.

Picture1951077x808.jpg

Picture1941077x808.jpg

Picture1931077x808.jpg

Picture1961077x808.jpg

It looks good, is that a bottle opener on the tang? Cool idea if it is :)

From what I gather When finishing the blade it became uneven or the drill press was not level/true. Any suggestions on this.

I've heard some makers say that they never grind the blade in the handles, they use a holder, but I have always ground my blades while fitted in the liners. One of the major benefits to doing it this way is that you can close the blade occasionally and check to make sure your grinding the tip centered. If your worried about your pivot hole being square, make sure your drill press is square and do the pivot hole smaller than the finished pivot will be, then after HT clean up the flats and then ream the pivot hole to final size and use a barrel lap with 400g valve lapping compound until the pivot just slides in, I got this method from Todd Begg and it's working very well.

Very Nice Frank! I think it looks good. I like the bottle opener tang. Good idea.

Just a thought, did you try adjusting your pivot tension from both sides to help center the blade?

Les thanks for the tips! I will try to do that on the next one. You brought up a point I think I may have ground the tip a little to one side. I also think my drill press was not square.

John I will try to adjust the tension to see if it helps. Thanks guys.

Hey Frank, That looks great. I have been wanting to make a friction folder. Still trying to acquire the proper tools. Thanks for posting a pic and to the others for the helpful tips.

Doug I used a drill press, and grinder to make this one. Just read up on the pivot and stop pin placement. Thanks guys!

Frank, that's a good looking folder, I like the bottle opener idea. They say prctice makes perfect :)

Larry

Back