Finger hole for Krambit ????

Lerch

Im needing to drill what i would guess would be anywhere from 1" to 1 1/2" wide hole for the finger loop on a krambit knife and i am lost as to where to get a bit this big or what would be the proper way to do this and then have comfortable rounded off edges. any ideas ????

thanks
steve

Get a step bit. It looks like a round pyramid, usually starting with something like 1/4 or 3/8 and will go up to 1" or 1.5" depends on the model. They arent cheap but they are AWESOME!

Gotta use a good bit to start the hole, then change over to step bit and use cutting fluid and slow speed will make all the difference. Dont force it.

here ya go

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=256287011

As for rounding or chamfering the inside of the hole, good ol dremel works for me. Or sandpaper wrapped around a smaller dowel.

Thanks guys,

the step drill bit was actually something i was thinking of and makes perfect sense. only issue i see being rigging up some kind of system to catch the cutting fluid so i dont make a huge mess. and my second issue being my drill press at its lowest speed is i think around 350rpm, is that too fast still ???

thanks again !

What are you drilling through? When I first started I drilled quite a few karambit holes in O1 using a 1" bi-metal holesaw from Home Depot. I now use a carbide unit from McMaster-Carr and it works much, much better, especially on high wear-resistant steels.

I use a bi-metal 1" hole saw with some cutting fluid on slow speed. If necessary, I clean it up with a dremel, but a dowel rod with some sand paper would work too.

Well I tried a step bit /unibit tonight. It worked great on some 5/32" 440c until I got to about 3/4" and then the bit lost it's edge I didn't have cutting fluid but I was liberally spraying some Break Free CLP oil. Still burned up the bit on my slowest setting. Guess I will try a carbide 1" hole saw.

I use a champion carbide 1 inch hole cutter. I think I get them at wholsale tool they work great and last for about 50 holes or so.

Well I picked up two different bi metal hole saws from lowes tonight. Problem now is that I already have a 3/4" hole in the handle and the pilot bit on the new hole saw has nothing to bite on so the whole thing just wobbles all to hell when I try to cut the 1" hole !! I guess I can start over but I hate to lose this knife.

Clamp it tightly to something that the pilot bit CAN bite into. A block of wood or even another piece of steel should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I was just thinking about that on the way to work this morning , thanks Andrew !!

Back