Finally, Perfect flat grinds

Probabley would not have to change the angle of the table from knife to knife if I would put the knife in the same place in the micarta blocks each time. But it seams to me you would always need to do a little adjusting with each knife. Where Ernie has a adjustment on his holder.

Probabley would not have to change the angle of the table from knife to knife if I would put the knife in the same place in the micarta blocks each time. But it seams to me you would always need to do a little adjusting with each knife. Where Ernie has a adjustment on his holder.

That is the whole point of my jig, To make fine adjustments easily.

All I need to do is loosen the wingnuts and move the inside one in or out.

I use an angle finder to record my angles and make sure they are the same.

Yesterday a built a flat grinding fixture like Franks, and this is the first knife off the fixture. All three pictures are the same knife. I only took them to 220 grit and then hand sanded. I had trouble keeping the top flat stright like I wanted, so I ended taking the flat grind to the top of the blade. This is all new to me so in a week or two when I get some more free time I'll try another. And Frank I didn't take your advice I used ATS34, I didn't have any mild steel this size.
100_1205.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1207.jpg

;)
Looks real good, I like it , now you can just clean up the spine and your good to go!

Nice jig Ernie, is there a chance you could make me one?. I'll pay you for it + shipping just email me @ sgtvnamvet@gmail.com or call me cell# 956-222-6567 Rey Garza in south Mission, Texas 78573. This will help me much in doing flat grinds, I need all the help I can get especially this great jig.

Art thank you for the pictures. Thanks for the idea Frank. I'm going to try to make this fixture this afternoon. It looks like it would work better than the Rube Goldberg set up I cobbled together. Thanks guys.

To see some of the blades I have ground using this jig I recommend, go to customknifegallery.com and scroll down on the left hand side where you will find mny name. I have several folders, which is all I made, in this web site. All the grinding is done while the blade is in that simple blade holder. Frank

Hi guys , I've been reading all of this for 2 days now and it leaves me with a thought and a question if the idea would work . Basically what I am thinking is . Franks holding fixture , a guide bar on the table , either the bar or the table would be movable in and out / closer or farther from the wheel or platen . Now , you push the bottom of the holding fixture against the guide bar and tilt your blade into the wheel or platen . Now you find your angle is too steep and you are grinding to close to your edge lines , well , you just move the guide bar or whole table closer to the wheel which in turn will change your angle of blade contact to the wheel or platen . This way , you just keep making small adjustments on your guide bar to walk your grinds up or down . each time you get closer to the wheel or platen it automatically changes the blage angle .

Where am I going wrong here ??

Jack, I don't think a guild bar is the way to go. It becomes another device to have to deal with. I've found it to be very easy to make very small adjustments on the table when doing the first side. There is no adjustments needed for the other side. Did you see how ARTinNC set up his table? He came up an excellent application. Frank

Back