Ernie's First Passaround

I'm also going to do a Pass-around late this summer . Fair is fair , Ernie you're first on the list .

I have it , tomorrow is the big test day . I have some of the worlds thickest cardboard and toughest banding straps to test it on . Put a 25 degree angle on it , I think it might handle 20 degrees . Who did the HT and what is the Rockwell ?

Brad at Peters did the HT, I will have to find the slip but I believe the RC is 60

Sorry for the late review , and sorry for no pics . It's what has made this a late post , Every time I've tried to attach pics , it has shut me down time after time .
So for now just a review , I'll try to download the pics right after and see what happens ..​

For the cutting test I got some 1/2" thick cardboard and some plastic straps from work(USPS) . This stuff is extreme . The straps have to be cut with metal shears . We can't have a knife ... I also had some leather .​
Before I did anything I put a 25 degree edge on it .​

I started by shaving hair , they just popped right off . Which reminds me of something I heard a long time ago - Don't trust a knifemaker with Hairy arms ..

I went to the 1/2" cardboard next . Pushing down with the recurve I was able to make 1' long cuts before it bogged down . It took some effort , but got it done . I did that 22 times before I stopped . It still shaved hair .. not popping , but still good .​

I went to the straps and they were tough . I cut a few , but any knife put to them can only cut a few .​
It was still able to cut some hair , but performance dropped quite a bit after the bands .​
I tried to cut some leather but the thickness of the blade really won't let it .​

I went back to cutting up some normal household cardboard . Here it cut real good .​

I had just received the Kiln I ordered from Tracy , so I got the bands that were on that crate . Here it cut real well again . These are a 1" version of the stapping bands we're all familiar with .​
I made about 200 cuts with these , as they really weren't affected by the blades thickness . It did all that with no resharpening .​

With some thinning of the grind and a few minor tweaks , I think this knife will have alot to offer . I would really like to see this blade in it's final version .​
Thanks for letting me play , Bill​

I'll be shipping the knife to Rodney on Tuesday . Ed asked if he can get back in on this after Blade and a teaching commitment he has . I'm sure that won't be a problem .
Again , I want to thank Ernie for the Pass-around . It shows a real commitment to becoming a better Knifemaker .​

Ernie
I received the knife yesterday this design is definitely an eye catcher I'll play with it a few days and then post a review

Ernie
I mailed it to Patrick yesterday. I really like the look of this knife. The craftsmanship is real nice. My wife was pretty impressed with the lines in the handle and I caught her showing it off on several occasions. I know some have commented on the sharp point at the rear of the handle but it was a non issue for me. and I never noticed it while I was working with the knife. The carbon fiber sheath is a nice touch and while it carries high I did not find it to be uncomfortable. the only issue I had with the sheath was it caught on my seat belt while I was getting out of my truck and the top screw on the belt clip broke. I did have some on hand and I replaced it before passing it on. If there was any thing about it that I would change it would be the shape and thickness of the blade. I know this is something that you have already addressed. The blade will take and hold a good edge but requires a lansky or narrow stone to accomplish it. After I had it sharp I trimmed some small limbs and was still able to shave arm hair with it. the only other thing that I would suggest changing would be the angle of the finger groves on the handle so that they would angle slightly to the rear instead of straight up and down. this was really not an issue but my personal preference. Thanks for the chance to check out the knife I enjoyed it

Last edited:
hats off to you guys. Great all around testing. Comments about the edge geometry, handle, and sheath were excellent and afford the maker tweeks to improve his knife. alot of these issues will be worked out by talking with your client and asking him what he wants. good reading.......

Sorry for being so late with my review. I'll post it this weekend. I've been trying to finish up my KITH. Received the knife from RodneyJ on Monday June 27th when I pulled in after a trip to St. Louis. Shipped it to Joe Levy on Tuesday July 5th.

Pat

Well I'm a little late on my review but it's in before the next guy. Upon opening the box i see a very cool looking knife/sheath combination. The CF kydex looks sweet and Ernie did a great job forming it. I really liked the shape as it looked like a lot of leather sheath designs. That turquoise skull bead rocks, makes the whole package look bada$$. This is the first time I got to wear that particular kind of belt device.

I pull the knife out and it looks way cool. Visual inspection proves that Ernie makes a darn good knife. Fit and finish was as well as expected. This is a heavy knife and the handle feels real good. Next day I put the knife on and go give it a whirl. I started out to the woods to find a few things to mess around with. The belt loop is situated pretty low which makes the knife ride high. I noticed that I was getting poked by the handle while I was trying to move around and the sheath came off my belt a few times.

This knife was chopping small limbs for me with no problems. It also chopped up a couple 1x3's easily. The handle kinda poked the hand as you insert it into the sheath(sorry for kicking the dead horse). After that I cut up some 1/2 poly rope for a while, maybe 50-60 cuts, and it took care of it.

I did not want it to drop into 12 feet of sludge so I put it in an old sheath and wore it to work for the remainder of the week. It was used to open boxes, cut water jugs and 1/4" plastic hose lines. It performed well but I wish it had a more prominent point.
The knife seemed very heavy handled. Balance was too far rearward for my taste. For the type of blade it was, it could have easily been another 1-2+". Blade thickness at cutting edge seemed excessive for the length. It stopped pretty quick while I was cutting in cardbord.

For me I would take some weight off the handle by drilling or lengthening blade to balance it out. Changing the edge geometry to a somewhat thinner blade would allow for more utility uses for it's size.

It is always a pleasure to check out somebody else's knife. I reviewed the knife with as little personal opinion and as much professionalism as possible. Thanks Ernie for the opportunity to check out your work. I think it makes us look at our own work much more critically in a good way. Good luck.

Pat022.jpg

I am sorry for not posting sooner, time got away from me. I like the knife it is a solid design with a few flaws that I cannot add to from other reviews. The biggest for me are the thickness (needs to be about 1/8"), the point on the end of the handle and the ride of the sheath. It did every thing I tried with it and had no problems with the edge although I did not use it hard. I will send it to hikerdude07 as soon as I get an address.

Joe

Hey I have your knife. But... I'm in the middle of the mess Irene made in NC. No power at my house for several days. So I will get it out asap but that may be this weekend. I will try and post soon as well.

-David

Back