Ernie's First Passaround

Ernie I would like to but have to pass you never know what could happen at the border. It would be a first but im sure if it could go wrong or bad it will happen to me. Great idea Ernie some guys will make that knife work hard. Kellyw

Joe you are on the list!!!

I am going to get this going now, I am sending the blade out to Mr. Bruce Bump on monday.
Then he will send it to the next on the list.
All I am asking for is a review of the overall knife shape and the shape of the cutting edge.
you can either post it here or pm me with the info, In return I will do a giveaway for the participants. One of you lucky guys will win
this knife!! :) :)

So Is that it....... only 10 people willing to cut things with a new knife? :scared:

There is still two spots open everyone!!

Jaysmith10, You are in!!

All the spots are filled. The knife will be going to Bruce first then in numerical order.
Please only keep it for up to a week, then send it to the next guy.

You can pm the next on the list to get their address.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing the feedback.

Gee, I've been forgetful allot lately, what if I forget to pass it along to the next guy? hehe
Jaysmith10, You are in!!

All the spots are filled. The knife will be going to Bruce first then in numerical order.
Please only keep it for up to a week, then send it to the next guy.

You can pm the next on the list to get their address.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing the feedback.

ern i hope that knife makes it to me im getting worried !!!!!!!!!!! after reading bruce and rodneys post lol

I got the knife last week but we had to take off for the Oregon Show. I thought about taking it and seeing what kind of money I could get for it there but my concience got the better of me. When we got home and took a day off to rest I finally got to play with it.

My first impression was good, kinda futuristic and upon inspection decided that Ernie has come a long ways in design and construction. I like the overall look. There is no handle pins or bolts which gave me some concern that I may break off the handle slabs but that didnt happen. It must have epoxy filled areas under the scales and some holes drilled through the tang to tie the epoxy together still I'm old school and like bolts holding my handles on.

The sheath is cool and protects the knife well but it rides too high for me and would probally rub a hot spot on my floating rib after awhile.
004.jpg

Out of the box it was fairly sharp and shaved some arm hair although with some effort. I cut a file card up easy enough but the cuts werent what I'd call clean. The edge stayed the same through these tests but the next guy may want to see just how sharp he can get it. Its 1095 high carbon steel with Peters Heat Treating magic so it should be a good combination.
003-3.jpg

I like the fact it has a lanyard so I figured its made to use. I finally got the knot untied so I could put my hand in and found a hard wood dowel to work over. With rough chopping and some whittling I made a spear point. Remember the movie "The Edge"? They killed a grizzley with a stick like this one. I felt safe just holding my new sharp dowel. This recurve is right at home making tent stakes and sharp sticks
008-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

Onto some firewood splitting. The "Swanson" easily chopped a 2 by 4 into 4 pieces of kindling. I batoned the tip for "real world use" and got the impression it would do this all day. The heat treat is very good as it still shaved the same as before after these tests.
018.jpg

I like the semi-chisel point around the shop as I cant think of any reason to have a sharp pointed knife here. It worked great scraping off dried super glue on the surface grinder.
024.jpg

Not a huge pile of firewood but I'm convinved for camp chores and around the shop this knife is a good one to have around.
021-2.jpg

In conclusion if I were to change anything it would be the pommel. While it looks cool and futuristic it digs into my palm because of the pointed shape. All in All a real nice knife to own, after all its a "Swanson" knife.

Last edited:
Awesome Bruce, Thank you so much!!

The reason this one don't have pins is because when I drilled the holes I messed up. I would have scrapped the knife but I thought I could still epoxy the scales on for a test knife.
When I do more they will either have pins or screws.

The knife goes to Randy Haas Next!!!

Thanks for your thoughts Bruce. Randy, I'm looking forward to your impressions as well.

Ernie, when this gets to me I'm going to be a complete bass-tard about every single detail. Don't take it personal, it's only because I'm picky to begin with and would expect the same from you. :)

I got a package in the mail today from Mr Bruce Bump! I was so excited and just couldn't believe Bruce sent me something... I opened the box with great excitement.. Low and behold!!! Its a Swanson! :) Heck yea. I almost forgot about this.. What a pleasant surprised.. First impressions are good. its got a cool look!

I didnt get a chance to really cut anything with it yet.. But I will! Ohh yea, I will!
Pics and a report in a couple days..

Thanks Ernie for letting me have a chance to work over your latest knife!

Randy, I'll send you something someday if thats all it takes to get you excited :)
You may want to sharpen the Swanson if you get too serious with it. Scraping superglue may have took the shaving edge off but that chisel point just begs to be used.
I got a package in the mail today from Mr Bruce Bump! I was so excited and just couldn't believe Bruce sent me something... I opened the box with great excitement.. Low and behold!!! Its a Swanson! :) Heck yea. I almost forgot about this.. What a pleasant surprised.. First impressions are good. its got a cool look!

I didnt get a chance to really cut anything with it yet.. But I will! Ohh yea, I will!
Pics and a report in a couple days..

Thanks Ernie for letting me have a chance to work over your latest knife!

Ernie, I had a chance today to jive the knife a work out! Im gona carry it this weekend before I do a write up on it.

Have a Happy Easter!
God Bless

Awesome..........Sounds good!!!!

And Remember..................................................................

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

OK, OK You want pics? well I took a bunch! these are in order.. or close.. Like Bruce said, It needed to be sharpened. B4 testing I added a nice new edge to it.
WIP3082.jpg

I had a piece of what I think was pine.. Whatever it was it was sticky and didnt like being chopped.. But Ernie's knife made short work of it. and split a 2X4 with ease Similar to how Bruce tested this blade.
WIP3117.jpg
WIP3119.jpg
WIP3120.jpg
WIP3129.jpg
WIP3132.jpg
WIP3138.jpg
WIP3147.jpg
WIP3158.jpg
WIP3179.jpg
WIP3181.jpg
WIP3007.jpg

After chopping and batoning and scraping, and jammin into the tree a few times. I did some push cut through leather, (didnt get pics of that) It still shaved. with a little effort.

Im gona carry and use it more this weekend. If I get any more in action shots Ill post them Good job on this one Ernie.

Last edited:
Back