ENDS DEC. 22 @ 8pm 3,500 Post GAW - Carpenter's CTS-XHP

Hey guys, just want to let you know I got the bar in the mail yesterday and will start working on it today. Looks like it can go in with the next batch I send to Brad for HT so I will hopefully have it all finished up and some test results in a couple weeks. I'm going to make one with an edge profile/thickness similar to the CPM-154 test knife in my avatar so I can compare them as closely as possible. I'm pretty dang excited about this steel after reading the passarounds etc that have gone on!

Thanks again Murph! Not only is this great fun but you guys are helping us truly test a new material.

Don't think I'll do a complete WIP but here's a pic of what I have so far... rough layout, drilled and countersunk, and profiled. Time to go cut the plunge and start the bevels!
XHP prototype.jpg

Last edited:
As usual, a couple weeks turned into a month... but I finally got a batch of blades ready to send out for HT. Here's the Carpenter blade all ready for Brad to work his magic...

Attachments

• xhp prototype pre_ht.jpg
    xhp prototype pre_ht.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
As usual, a couple weeks turned into a month... but I finally got a batch of blades ready to send out for HT. Here's the Carpenter blade all ready for Brad to work his magic...

James...........sweet, nice work very clean look. BUTTT "The Big Buttt" I must ask about that crazy carpet pattern? Cougar Skin, polar bear, badger, Scandinavian Snipe??? Burn marks...maybe on the side we can try to guess what you shot that knife on, LOL. That's how my mind works or doesn't???? Still great job!

Hahaha it's one of those blankets with a leopard on it and the spots pattern around the outside. Maybe that will become my trademark for my knife pics?!? ;)

Looky here...

xhp prototype post HT.jpg

The blade came back with an Rc test of 59. (I asked for 58-60). Clean as a whistle and straight as an arrow.

I chose Mcam G10 from Tracy for the scales... I put the black layer next to the tang for contrast. Got 'em drilled for the Corby bolts and thong tube... roughly ground the profile of the scales. I shaped the front of the scales to match the end of the tang.

I kinda wish the bronze HT color was more durable, because it looks good with the brown in these scales. But it will wear off easily, so I'll just polish the blade up. I don't reckon it will take much; I hand-sanded the blade to 800 pre-HT and it's very clean. Whatcha think boys, should I just give it a nice hand-satin at 800 or polish it up to 2000?

EDIT: I went ahead and took it up to 2000X. That way I can see how well it resists scratches in use... seems pretty wear-resistant so far! I'm glad I took it to 800 before HT... anyway it looks nice, comparable to CPM-154 with the same finish. Nice and clear, no cloudiness or anything. I may actually get the handle glued up today.

More progress coming soon!

Last edited:
All done!

Well here she is boys... no sheath or testing yet but I'm working on it. After supper I may have time to make some 2x4's smaller...
xhp prototype finished.jpg

I left about 3/32" of the tang exposed for thumping on things and made a firesteel to match.

Thank you sir! I know it's not a full WIP but at least it shows I made something out of it :biggrin: I can't wait to test this baby, I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

Back