Email Lists?

M.Olexey

I see knife makers with email lists on their sites.

How does this work?

I know how to make an email list what I mean is how do you use the list? Do you send out a mass email when you have something available and use a first come first serve protocol? Is this separate from your order list?

huh1

School me :)

That is what I do, mass email when there is something available and I try to send out a quarterly update.

It is entirely separate from my order list.

I have a fill in the blank thing on my web site, so folks can fill in the info and it gets sent to my e mail. I reply to them and tell them I got the info and thank you. Then I add them to the distribution list.

Yes I just do a notification list, sending out an email when a knife is available.
I do not take orders so I do not have an order list.

Best Regards,

Todd

I keep learning more and more here at the dog. Is it possible for ones head to explode from so much great info?

Emails lists can be a great tool. My example is my EBK mailing list. I don't take orders on these knives, otherwise its all I would have time to make. About every quarter I try to have a "batch" (10-12) made up and then send out a mass email....it works great for me.

One of the things we as makers sometimes fall short on is communication. I've been as guilty as the next guy. I hate having an answering machine in my shop, but if I answered every phone call, I would never complete a knife. My rule there is to return EVERY call within 24hrs, unless I'm out of town. A quarterly email "newletter" or even an internet Blog can keep you in touch with clients, with only a small time investment.

Hey MO I'm on the list right? :D

I know, I know,

I got you on the list to be notified of when I plan to consider starting a waiting list to get on a wait list that I am considering to let people wait to get on......I think.

Do you send out a mass email when you have something available and use a first come first serve protocol? Is this separate from your order list?

Exactly how I use it, except I also send out newsletters when I make substantial modifications or additions to my website.

This is the service I use: http://www.yourwebapps.com/

You can use the free version or just pay $5 a month to get rid of the ads.

Hope this helps.

Ariel

My two-kibbles thrown in....................

Email Lists are like anything else, they can work for you or against you.

The two most important things about email lists are:

1. Have a reason to use the list beyond................ 'to sell knives.'
Your reason turns into your plan.
You all know how to do it........Plan the Work, then Work the Plan!

2. Be consistent........and make sure that what you are doing fits your own "style"

For example, my email list is filled with folks that have a variety of interests. If I send them an email each and every time I have something new available, many of them will start ignoring the emails because they have nothing to do with their particular interest. On top of that, if they think that the only reason I will email them is to try to sell something, then you lose any of the personal relationships that you have developed, or begun to develop.

So, MY particular objective is to use my email list to drive traffic to the website. That is the goal. My reasoning is that if I drive traffic to the site, folks will look not only for what interests them, but the other things along with it. Then the sales will follow.

So, now that I have my objective, my plan becomes fairly simple.

1. Every day make special note of new things on the website

2. On that same notepad, make notes of any changes to prices, the site itself, additions, or anything different about the site

3. Add to that notepad any changes in the business: shows, forum events, raffles, giveaways, awards, new employees, etc. Anything that has to do with the business

4. Last, on the note pad, I keep track of personal changes. Birthdays, anniversaries, fun stuff that happens, any personal event that I can make fun or "make-fun-of." Humor is a great thing.

When I have 20 things on the list on my daily notepad, I send out an email. In that email, I can direct folks to the website to look for new stuff and specific changes. I usually mention any business changes and sometimes use a personal item to poke fun at myself or to come up with a contest, or something fun.

In this way, the emails come out regularly, but not "timed" like every Monday or every third Wednesday. There is always some kind of humor and I try to get people in the habit of going to the website and looking around at all the eye candy. I can make the email both business and personal. I can accomplish my goal of driving people to the website much more easily than "making a sale."

Make sense? I hope so.

Again, like everything else, remember first and foremost that you are not in the knife business...................you are in the PEOPLE business.
Be true to your own style, because you are a "people" too. If you try to do things that are not you, people will know right away.

Have goals, plan the work work the plan and be good to folks.
If you can do that with each of your business activities, then your chances of success increase dramatically!

As always..............IMHO.

Thanks,

Tim

Note:
I have been self employed for nearly 30 years in a variety of businesses and ventures. Some have succeeded and some.........not. I have a business degree from Bowling Green State Univeristy, Bowling Green Ohio and a Master of Business Administration degree from Cleveland State Universisty, Cleveland Ohio. My credentials are currently under review at several institutions for admittance to a Doctoral degree in Business. My various businesses have taken me across the world and I've done work in Russia, China, India and a good part of Europe.

I've done lots of things and been lots of places. It is my priviledge to try to pass on at least a little of what I have learned. Thank you for reading my ramblings!

I use software that let's people sign up for my Mailing List; subscribe and unsubscribe. When I post up new knives I can create an e-mail and via the mailing list software send an e-mail to all on the list inviting them to come to my site to see what is new.

I ave used a mailin list for many, many years. In it I include notes about new knives and any oter news I may find of interest. It doesn´t ave an exact periodicity but I try at least to send one a mont.
Works fine for me - enerates sales and keeps people lookin at my work.

Back