EDCs: Fixed Blades vs. Folders

EDC: fixed or folder, small or large?

• I EDC a fixed blade with the blade being over 5".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take my ninja sword with me everywhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
One of my fixed blades(either the Bowie or the Nessmuk) A liner lock(CRKT Point Guard), and a SAK. Sometimes if I am looking for flint I will also carry an old Carbon steel slipjoint I found to see if the flint will produce sparks.

These are some that I regularly swap out.

Attachments

• EDC knives 003.jpg
    EDC knives 003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
always,both fixed and folder,approx.3" blade,6"OAL or so.
In my urban environment,anything bigger tends to upset the milling hordes.
That's one reason I file-work and embellish all my knives,so that when someone does notice,the reaction is "ooh,that's a nice knife" rather than "oh.that's a knife" Generally it's a CRKT M16 Compact spearpoint folder or Boker Hyper
for the pocket,and this BHK small Workcliff has replaced my BM 211 on my hip
DSCN5487.jpg

I really love the wharnnie blade.

Last edited:
For me it's the idea of portability and utility, not the manner of construction.

I am a big fan of Emerson, Strider and Graham Brothers knives. However, all of these EDCs are in the 3.5 inch category.

In fact, I even had Josh Graham make me a very soft sheath for my SS3 so it wasn't a problem if it dug into the top of my thigh when riding.

I don't hunt or camp anymore, so a larger sheath knife really doesn't provide me with any needed options. My favorite Buck folder is the 112, not the 110.

I have found that as I have gotten older my knife blades have gotten shorter.

In the wonderful state I live in it mandates only folders under 3' and under may be carried on a person not engaged in sporting or work activities. ( so much for the Revolution) In my city there is a ordinance that blade edges must not exceed 2.5" so I am stuck with small blades.

It is a real PITA when wearing a kilt in formal setting and not having a proper sigan dub.

I almost always wear one of my fixed blades. I have found that in this one instance being fat is a benefit. I wear this one horizontal above my left front pocket. With a fat roll and an untucked T-shirt it's invisible yet readily accessable with either hand. Occasionally I also clip my Les George FM1 into my right hip pocket.

Attachments

• rattanhira.jpg
    rattanhira.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7
Back