EDCs: Fixed Blades vs. Folders

EDC: fixed or folder, small or large?

• I EDC a fixed blade with the blade being over 5".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take my ninja sword with me everywhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rock

I have carried a knife since I was eight years old. I cannot imagine being without one. Like most of us, I am always searching for the perfect EDC. I have emotional responses to knives; their beauty, their power, their rightness. There are knives that take your breath away when you see them and know that it will feel like a natural extension of your body and soul when you hold it in your hand.

Unfortunately, I often get this feeling with fixed blades as well as folders. I buy knives to carry and use, and if I can't EDC a knife without at least a modicum of discretion, it is not going to get used or carried, and will eventually be sold, usually for less than I paid for it. The only exceptions are around the house and in the car, and those are not EDCed.

My general rule of thumb is that if I am going to EDC a fixed blade, its going to be bigger than a folder that I can put in my pocket. I have folders with four and five inch blades that I am very comfortable carrying. The six inch or larger fixed blade doesn't tend to work for me for EDC, nor is there much call for it when I have a CCW and am a pretty firm believer in bringing a gun to every knife fight that I can't avoid.

My knives are tools and back up weapons. I'm not big on intimidation, showing all of my cards, freaking out the police, or wearing photographer's vests 24/7/365.

I don't think the minuscule presentation speed advantage or "strength" of a fixed blade over a good lock blade makes up for the hassle of concealing a 6" or larger knife.

Does anyone other than military/LEOs/and job related (farmers, ranchers, etc) EDC large fixed blades? What are your thoughts and feelings about it and the advantages over a folder?

I'm curious about EDC only please, not hunting or camping trips, or SHTF knives.

Thanks

Last edited:
I like to carry both. The further north/west i go the bigger the Fixed blade is

In my younger days I carried a fixed blade and a folder during trapping season. After my high school days, it's been mainly just a folder or two. I'm now up in my 60's and on ocassion I have carried a small horizontal sheathed fixed blade on my belt along with my trusty folder in one pocket and a small Leatherman on my keychain.

I carry a folder every day. It is usually a Case Trapper or a Kershaw liner lock(not sure the model but it has about the same length blade as the trapper.. I work in an environment were I have to wear a suit all the time so a fixed blade is not really an option for me except as an inside the pocket carry which I am not a huge fan of.

BJ

This is what I EDC. I carry the folder clipped in my front right pocket. Keys in left front pocket with lanyard hanging. Phone left front pocket. The fixed blade is either concealed in various configuration IWB or clipped in back right pocket depending on what I am doing or where I am. 2thumbs

DSC_0529.jpg

I have never had need for a fixed blade over 3". In my personal truck I carry a large Cold Steel fixed blade and a Ridgeback in my center console.

When I go to the city (Orange County, San Diego) I carry a FOS and a smaller key setup.

Last edited:
Brian, other than loving the Ridgeback design and it always being "always open", do you see any advantages to a fixed blade in your daily routine?

Brian, other than loving the Ridgeback design and it always being "always open", do you see any advantages to a fixed blade in your daily routine?

No sir, not really. Just handy and faster to pull the Ridgeback out. It holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen.

I should have read your post before voting :eek: I EDC fixed blades in the woods but usually a folder in town. A folder in a pouch on my belt never gets noticed but some people tend to gawk or make comments about a fixed of the same size huh1.

I prefer fixed blades in general for a couple reasons, not the least of which is they're easier to clean. I use my EDC for everything from cutting my food to opening mail. Steak juice inside a folder gets yucky.

Last edited:
I've been rotating lately between 4 EDC's. One I need to fix actually, my Kershaw blackout. The torsion bar went kaput on it so the speed assist is no longer there. It has this dumb fastener on it I haven't had the patience to deal with yet. Kershaw apparently had their own tool made for taking it apart.

Anyway the 4 in my rotation are:
Emerson Karambit
Kershaw Blackout with a partial serrated (out of commission atm)
Benchmade Griptillian (plain edge)
Benchmade Mini-grip (plain edge)

Most days it's just one of them, I've carried two but finding a "good" location for the second just hasn't become comfortable yet. One day I'll find a comfy spot for a second knife to always be with me.

I teach for a living so carrying a fixed blade on a daily basis isn't possible. I usually just have a slipjoint or a liner/frame lock with a 3" or smaller blade on me at work. When I'm not at work I usually slip my BM 630 Rukus in my pocket. That one always draws attention when I open it.

I would say that I only carry fixed blades for the great outdoors, except that my dress knife is a Blackwood Wharncliffe Fiend that I carry IWB. I especially like it for formal events where I wear a tux. 2thumbs

I EDC mostly Bucklites and the occasional neck knife
Weight is more an issue to me than size:eek:
The law here in California is kinda vague..IMHO..with regards to neck knives
So, I'm sometimes leery wearing my neck knife in public
Especially when I go in a bank.......

Just a note, regardless of what I am carrying, I always EDC a SAK Tinker. The freak out factor on it is very low even in most civilized places!

Daily EDC

Used to be my dad's Old Timer 3" slipjoint but now its this:

Attachments

• Helton EDC_4_2010 006.jpg
    Helton EDC_4_2010 006.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 7
I prefer to use a fixed blade because they tend to be more solid and controllable, but I admit most people here in northern Illinois get very uncomfortable when you pull out a fixed blade knife for any job. For this reason I tend to take a folder to work and around town but if I am doing a side job or working around the house I will definitely have a fixed blade on me.

I have been carrying a Case XX of sort or the other in my pocket since about 1988. When I bought my first quality knife with my first paycheck that I made. I carry a Case Trapperlock right now. My crew bought it for me for Christmas this year. Last year they bought me a Copperlock that I liked alot it was just a touch short for my taste. Couldn't cut and apple in one whack and the such.
I would however like to try a fixed blade. But it would have to be something that just the handle stuck out of the pocket kinda like the knives with the clips on them do now. Any suggestions? The blade needs to be at least 3". Prefer 3 1/2.

Oh yea I was wondering where yall live that you have to worry about people freaking out when you pull out a knive. Around here it is just part of the day, I would say that 85% of all the men carry a pocket blade.

I carry a Spyderco Endura and a Swiss Army pocket knife every day. I think folders are more versatile and acceptable for work.

I carried a fixed blade neck knife for a while but I got a lot of hassle from the wife about it. Since I also carry a G19 most days two blades are probably enough. :)

I'm working on a small dagger from a kit right now. Unless I sell it I will most likely carry it when I finish it, at least for a while. Just for the cool factor of carrying something I made; the handle anyways.

I usually have a pocket knife, don't laugh too loud but it is a rough rider and have a small fixed blade. Or I have an assist open. Don't like carrying anything will a clip because I have been asked to leave it outside before. I wear a shirt untucked a lot so a fixed blade is under it.

Back