DVD or books on making folders

Keith Willis

Can someone tell me what would be some good info
on building folders?I would like it on DVD,but not sure
if anything like that would come on DVD,and
even if it does,it may be too expensive for me.
Thanks for any help.

God bless,Keith

What types of folders are you interested in making? Most books/DVDs will be type specific. Our own Don Robinson has a book on slip joints, so look for a for sale thread here in this forum. Chris Crawford has a DVD on slip joints that I hear is quite good. Gene Shadley sells his portion of the famous "How to Make a Multi-Blade Folding Knife", which covers how he makes multi-blade slip joints. Can you tell I'm interested in making slip joints?

Thanks JC,I've not given it much thought.
What would be the best for me to start with?
I'll look for the info you recommended.
Thanks again,

God bless,Keith

I would start with whatever you find most appealing. I'll preface my following comments with the fact that even referring to myself as a hobby knifemaker would be a stretch as I still haven't completely finished my first slip joint (though I'm getting close). I kept reading about the difficulty in getting the "walk and talk" characteristic of a good slip joint. Although it is challenging and takes patience, which is something I usually lack, it is certainly doable, especially if you take advantage of the experience, guidance and resources available here in this forum. There are several WIPs, tutorials and knowledgeable makers here who are eager to guide us newbies. All the fancy tools help, but they aren't required. Patience and attention to detail are though.

I've read that the mechanisms of liner/frame locks are easier to get right, but I have no first hand experience with these. They certainly seem to be more popular. I don't care though, slip joints are my thing!

One thing I forgot to mention, that I believe to be applicable to all folders, is the need to have access to a decent drill press. Regardless of folder type, you need to be able to dril holes perpendicular to your liners. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive so long as the chuck is perpendicular to the table.

As soon as I am able,I am going to purchase Don's book,
and look into some of the other material mentioned
I have all the basic knifemaking tools,but was wondering
if there is a lot of expense in making folders.
Thanks for your help,

God bless,Keith

Thanks Don,I can assure you I am still learning,but I have been making fix blade for about 3 years
I have pieced together a couple of folders,but I have a long way to go.
Thanks for your help.

God bless,Keith

You should be good to go then. There are a couple of things, such as a milling machine and surface grinder, that make folders easier to make, but they are not absolutely required. I believe there is a WIP over in the custom knife forum that shows how to relieve liners with an electro-etcher instead of a milling machine. Depending on what route you choose, there are other things like reamers, carbide burrs, etc. that you'll most likely need. Altogether, I'd say I've got maybe $200 in all of the little odds and ends that I've purchased specifically for slip joint making. Like any worthwhile endeavor, it can be as expensive as you choose to make it.

Back