Drying Out Fresh Cut Burl Wood

Dan Dick

If anyone has some knowledge about drying out fresh cut (burl) wood I'd greatly appreciate anything you could throw my way. I've had my eye on a maple tree here in Hutch that had some large "tumors" as I call them, the round bowl shaped oddities that grow on trees where some of the nicest burl wood comes from. Well driving to work today they were cutting her down & I stopped and gave the guy $10 bucks to saw off four tumors. Two about basket ball diameter and two about 18" in diameter. This is why I'm asking, in the past I bought some walnut burl wood that was green, fresh cut, and it cracked pretty bad. I sealed that wood up with a wax type sealant I bought from an exotic woods company and let it dry out in my basement. If you have any knowledge in this area and have time to reply I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!, Dan.

sorry i wouldnt have any good advice wen onr of good fellow members help you remember to post some pic,s of the dryed cancer wood ok.

Well usually you seal the ends and put the wood in a cardboard box lined with foil and a light bulb inside. Make sure the box holds the heat but vents out the moisture. But you can't really seal the end of a burl, its all end. But I would seal the area that was cut. The drying time depends on thickness, so if you want to use this stuff this year you will need to slab them out first and sticker them. Cut them a little thick because they will move like crazy and you will need cut them to size again after drying. Some checking and splitting will happen no matter what. 1/2" thick should be dry in a couple weeks, but it is best to test with a moisture meter. For small pieces like scales, I have herd of people using the micro wave and I believe that should work but I have never tried.

Hi Dan, I hope I can help.

I buy “slabs” of burl, including quite a bit of maple. The slabs come in averaging 2 to 2 ½” thick by various diameters with some up to three feet across. I cut them into 2.5” X 2” X 5.5” blocks on my table saw. By doing it this way, I can choose how to get the best figure out of them. You have to expect quite a bit of waste since you are cutting rectangles out of a circle so to speak. Also, you need to be oversized because as someone already said, you will get some warping, checking and cracks by drying the wood faster than normal. Once it comes back from being stabilized you can then recut it to size and remove the problem areas.

BTW - the reason I started buying my burl this way was because I noticed that many of the suppliers were either offering substandard quality or charging quite a bit for "the good stuff". However, and here is the caveat - there are a few great companies out there that still offer superior quality burl at reasonable prices (Burl Source and Ankrom are two that come to mind). However, on domestic burls, after doing the math, I was able to save approximately 40% by drying the wood myself and sending it out to be stabilized. More important to me than the money was to be in control of the figure within the blocks. You will be amazed at all the options you have when you cut it yourself.

To dry them I built a simple, yet very effective “hot box”. You should be able to build one for less than $60 which is cheap considering that you may have several hundred dollars worth of quality burl there.

Here is a list of equipment you will need.

(1) Coleman type cooler – metal, plastic, but definitely not Styrofoam by itself. Check Craig’s List which is where I found one of the oldies but goodies in stainless steel for next to nothing.
(2) An old fashion work light – the type with the cage around the bulb and a hook on top.
(3) A thermometer used with a Turkey fryer – the type with the dial on top of a 12” probe. You can find these at Home Depot in the BBQ section.
(4) A small piece of chicken wire or rigid steel screen
(5) Several wattages of conventional light bulbs – more on that later.

First, remove the drain plug from the cooler and if necessary increase the hole to approximately 1” in diameter. Then on the opposite end, drill a dozen or so 3/8” holes along the top edge about 1.5” down from where the lid seals. Then on the same end, drill a 3/16” hole about midway down from the top along the front or back wall. This is for the thermometer probe to go into. Try to do it so the probe fits right along the inside wall so it doesn’t interfere with the wood blocks you’re going to stack inside. Install the thermometer.

Next, pull the cord of the work light through the drain hole from the inside to the outside leaving just the work light in the bottom of the cooler. Install a 40W bulb in the work light. Do not seal around the cord running through the hole. You want a bit of room there. Fashion a rough “box” from the screen to go around the work light – you want to keep the burl a minimum of 2" away from the cage on the light especially if a piece were to fall over.

Load the burl blocks into the cooler on end – do not lay them down as you want as much surface area exposed as possible. You may stack them one on top of the other to make a second layer just make sure that you can close and latch the lid. Good square ends will help a lot with the stacking. And of course, do not stack the blocks on top of the wire cage and/or work light. You need to be able to get to the light to change bulbs if necessary and you don’t want to risk them getting too hot for obvious reasons.

With my hot box I found that a 40W bulb will bring the inside temp up to about 120F which is optimum to dry the wood fairly slow. A 60W will bring it up to about 160F which is too hot for my liking. It will dry the wood too fast and possibly warp the plastic on the inside of the cooler. The reason I say to try different bulbs is that not all coolers have the same insulation capabilities and you may need a higher wattage bulb to get to the 120F point.

And don’t worry; 120F is well below the ignition point of the wood and the cooler. FYI – decayed wood ignites at 150C or 302F; Polystyrene (which is what most modern coolers “innards” are built from) melts at 120-150C or 248-302F and it ignites at 488-496C or 900F+.

The reason you don’t seal around the drain hole/cord is that you want cool air to be pulled in from the bottom to create a convection effect as it exits the 3/8” holes on the opposite side towards the top. Remember - hot air rises. Once the blocks have come up to temp, you will be able to feel warm air being forced out the small holes on the end.

Now, buy yourself a moisture meter. They can be found on the net for under $40 for a decent one. I taped a piece of paper to the top of my box and recorded the date the wood was first put in, the moisture content and the temperature. Let it “cook” 24/7 and check the moisture content and record it as frequently as you like but at least once a week. For good measure you should check various blocks from multiple locations inside the box. You should also restack or rotate the blocks at least once a week as well so that you get uniform drying throughout the load.

Once your wood reads 8% or below for two weeks in a row they should be good and dry and ready to send off for stabilizing. There are several good companies out there that offer stabilizing at a fair price. Actually, they are all very competitive.

I hope this helps you and others. Email me at info@jarrettknives.com if you have any questions.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Last edited:
I buy “slabs” of burl, including quite a bit of maple.

Great Post!! Thanks So where does one buy the raw Burl?

TomMegow -

When you're talking domestic burls like Maple, Redwood, Buckeye, there are dozens of places online and they are usually located in the NW. IMO Oregon is burl central. You can Google "Maple Burl" and search from there. Also, and I hate to admit it, I've gotten some great deals on large Maple and Buckeye slabs off of Ebay, again, from suppliers in Oregon.

For more exotic tastes, check out http://australianburls.com/. Jim Syvertsen is the owner and one heck of a great guy to deal with.

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com

Wayne thank you for some great information. Made for a good read. Thank you for sharring. John

The only thing I would add is that there are fellow makers on the board that sell really quality materials that are stabilized by true professionals (K&G / WSSI), and for good prices. Some of the prices I see for unstabilized material are really high and you will take your chances with the material that has been through the "homebrew" route.

Wayne offered some really good advice, the only thing I would say is that if it were me, I would spend a little more (around $100) on a moisture meter, and get a good one. Ligna Mat makes a decent model that can be had for around that price.

Of course if your sending your wood in for stabilizing the pros are gonna check it (on their meters) and dry your stuff before it gets done, because its critical to it being stabilized correctly.

L

The only thing I would add is that there are fellow makers on the board that sell really quality materials that are stabilized by true professionals (K&G / WSSI), and for good prices. Some of the prices I see for unstabilized material are really high and you will take your chances with the material that has been through the "homebrew" route.

Wayne offered some really good advice, the only thing I would say is that if it were me, I would spend a little more (around $100) on a moisture meter, and get a good one. Ligna Mat makes a decent model that can be had for around that price.

Of course if your sending your wood in for stabilizing the pros are gonna check it (on their meters) and dry your stuff before it gets done, because its critical to it being stabilized correctly.

L

Larry -

Thanks a ton for chiming in. Just to be clear, my comment using the word "suppliers" was aimed at just that, the big boys. And I agree 100% on your comments about the "home brew" route. Regarding the pro stabilizers, I've been using River Ridge Products for a while now and am very pleased.

After seeing the stuff that you have posted over the last 6 months or so, it makes me wish I didn't still have a pile of my own. Trust me folks when I say it's much easier to buy from guys you can trust (like Larry, whom I apologize to for not mentioning earlier) than it is to cut and dry your own. I'm a masochist I suppose. ;)

Take care all and God Bless. Wayno

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com

Wayne,
You hit the nail on the head, and I guess I wasn't shooting for self promotion, I just think theres still a huge confusion about stabilizing. I recently had another maker contact me after spending over $1000 on "stabilized wood" only to find out they were not stabilized and in fact were still soft, especially in the middle. He really wasnt sure what to do. He ended up calling WSSI and he performed some various tests recommended by Mike, on the material and realized it was NOT stabilized. I hate to see people in a postion like that, so I try and chime in when I can. Didnt mean to steer this thread into a discussion on stabilizing and I realize it was about drying. Your advice about drying was great, and it works well. Do you have a pic of your set up? Again sorry to have gotten off on a tangent.

Larry

Larry -

Thanks a ton for chiming in. Just to be clear, my comment using the word "suppliers" was aimed at just that, the big boys. And I agree 100% on your comments about the "home brew" route. Regarding the pro stabilizers, I've been using River Ridge Products for a while now and am very pleased.

After seeing the stuff that you have posted over the last 6 months or so, it makes me wish I didn't still have a pile of my own. Trust me folks when I say it's much easier to buy from guys you can trust (like Larry, whom I apologize to for not mentioning earlier) than it is to cut and dry your own. I'm a masochist I suppose. ;)

Take care all and God Bless. Wayno

CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com

I want to thank everyone for their input on drying out fresh cut wood, especially Wayne for his detailed hot box info. I'll be building one and giving that a try.

THANKS!!, Dan.

Back