Dinosaur Bone Handle Hunter

bjohnson

I just finished this one. It was a bit of a challenge, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

OAL: 8″
Blade: 3 1/4″ cutting edge, 5/32″ CPM154, Heat treated to 61-62 HRC with cryo treatment, Mirror Polished
Handle: Natural Stone (Dinosaur Bone)
Hidden pins, stainless guard, stainless and black fiber spacers.

dinosaur bone 002.jpgdinosaur bone 001.jpgdinosaur bone 003.jpg

That is pretty slick! How difficult was it working with the bone, it's basically a rock at that point, I've had the idea to try some petrified wood, which IS a ROCK!
But, it's got some neat colors, and grain pattern!

Very nice work! Rex

Thanks guys.
Bob, it's nice to know there's another knife dog in my area. Are you a maker or a knife admirer?
Rex, yes it is definitely a stone at this point. Working with it requires special lapidary tools - primarily diamond wheels which are used with a constant spritz of water. I have access to these through my local gem and mineral society. If you decide to use that petrified wood, do yourself a favor and make your first knife with a relatively straight handle. Getting those curves polished is a real pain. Also, I would suggest making a small cabochon out of the material first so that you have an idea of how the material will work - i.e. brittleness and ability to polish.

Ben, A very attractive knife! A friend of mind had me a few stone pieces of dinosaur bone. I ended up giving them back to him since I didn't have the tools needed to work with it. Always wondered what it would look like and now I know. I like it very much.

Back