Did someone say Bali-Kit?

Curtiss Knives

KD Founding Member #1, Knifemaker
Well here ya go. These consists of a CPM-154 precision ground blade at .187, four .150 Titanium frames and a Titanium latch. The stop pin size will finish at .125" and the pivots at .187". The blade has a 4" x 1" rectangle. the handles are 5" long. Tracy will have these in his store next week. I don't know what the final price will be. Hope this is what you were looking for.:unsure: Any input is appreciated. cool 1
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• pics 001.jpg
    pics 001.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 441
  • pics 002.jpg
    pics 002.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 414
What are the little nubs on the ends for? Are they part of the waterjetting process?

Looks like a cool set-up, Dave.

Tabs man, tabs. Thats what hold the parts in the sheet. If I don't put them on there, the parts go to Never Never Land!:eek:

Is there enough space around the pivot to install an ikbs system? I notice usaknifemaker is selling counterbores for it now so could be good to try out.

Not completely related but I had a question about latches. Expanding on Terry Guinn's retractable latch would it be possible to design a latch that would have 2 possible positions:

1) normal latch position
2) Fully sandwiched into the bite handle giving the illusion of a latchless bali

This is not a shifting latch like Guinn's but a latch that you'd have to unscrew from one position to the other depending on your preferences. The beauty of the design only works if the latchless position is super smooth.

Anyway, no idea why I'm posting this here but I thought about that last night for some reason, maybe it's already done, or maybe someone could do something with it, most likely it'll just remain a stupid idea from a half sleeping brain...

Nice, do you have an estimate at MSRP?
Nothing written in stone as I know this is early in the design phase. Just wondering what you might be looking to get for such a kit?

This, like other GLWJ kits are not like a tsunami kit. With that chunk of steel you can grind that into pretty much any blade style you would want.

Question: With the IKBS kit, will the bearings be supplied?

Expanding on Terry Guinn's retractable latch would it be possible to design a latch that would have 2 possible positions:

1) normal latch position
2) Fully sandwiched into the bite handle giving the illusion of a latchless bali
Sure, if you can find two things:

1) a pivot point that will accommodate the two different latch lengths,
2) a way to figure out where the extra latch tail is going to go when used in the "latchless mode".

We have a small batch on the way to me know. I'm going to put a couple together and see what's up with them. We do not have pricing yet. We need to make a few and see they work. After that, we'll know more. I will post WIP pictures here.

Ok, so I get to grind the blade the way I want. Then I need to heat treat or have the blade heat treated. What about the handles, will they need to be heat treated too?

Ok, so I get to grind the blade the way I want. Then I need to heat treat or have the blade heat treated. What about the handles, will they need to be heat treated too?

You will find stainless in the 400 series (410, 416, etc) can benefit from heat treating. It's not unusual to find liners in folders made from heat treated 410 so they are stiffer. In this case, you won't need to heat treat the handles. Titanium can also benefit from heat treating also but this is so thick there is no upside to heat treating it.

Back