Dewalt porta band saw or 4x6 metal band saw?

Jsteele

I am new to knife making and wanted some input from the veterans on what is easier to use,cheaper on blade replacements and gets better results for cutting metal. Is the Dewalt 6 amp or 10 amp porta band saw with the swagoffroad verticle stand better than a 4x6 metal band saw? I am only a hobbiest so the tools will not be used heavily. Thanks guys..

I went with the Delta Protaband and bolted a piece of angle iron to it that I clamp in the vise when I want to saw something.

The porta band hands down.
I was using the harbor freight 4x6 since around 86'...2 yrs ago I sprung for the porta band. That thing zips through steel at light speed compared to the 4x6. Only bad part is that I can't sit down on it. On the other hand, I don't have time to sit down when cutting anymore.

Rudy

I used a 4x6 for many years, and was constantly fighting it.... It "worked", but there was always a lot of effort put into each use.

My first Porta-band was a Milwaukee, and I was sorely disappointed. It was loud, the blade was jumpy, and it would overheat (thermal shutdown) after about 10mins. of cutting. I took it back a couple of times, but was always told "it's fine". Finally, the idler wheel hanger went bad, and when I tried to send it in for warranty, I was told "it's a design issue, not a warranty issue, we won't cover it". That was less than two years into Milwaukee's "5 year Warranty".....needless to say that I no longer buy or recommend Milwaukee tools of any kind.

I went with a Dewalt, and could not be happier. It is head an shoulders above the other metal cutting saws I have used. Here's a few photos....

IMG_0347Standarde-mailview.jpg

IMG_0346Standarde-mailview.jpg

IMG_0348Standarde-mailview.jpg

This little saw is great for the sawing jobs I encounter in the finish shop....about it's only drawback is the throat depth. I solved that issue....for bigger cutting chores I have a 7x12 Wilton, wet/dry saw in my Blacksmith shop.
The one conclusion I have come to after all these years is that when it comes to metal cutting bandsaws, there is a definite need for two in most serious shops.....one for small jobs, and another for big jobs.
I think the majority of 4x6 saws are built with the "hobbyist" in mind....someone who only uses the saw occasionally.

Last edited:
thi is for mr. caffery
what model is your saw ? i looked at amazon, and prices went from$240 to over $600. they surely are not the same model.

I used a 4x6 for many years, and was constantly fighting it.... It "worked", but there was always a lot of effort put into each use.

My first Porta-band was a Milwaukee, and I was sorely disappointed. It was loud, the blade was jumpy, and it would overheat (thermal shutdown) after about 10mins. of cutting. I took it back a couple of times, but was always told "it's fine". Finally, the idler wheel hanger went bad, and when I tried to send it in for warranty, I was told "it's a design issue, not a warranty issue, we won't cover it". That was less than two years into Milwaukee's "5 year Warranty".....needless to say that I no longer buy or recommend Milwaukee tools of any kind.

I went with a Dewalt, and could not be happier. It is head an shoulders above the other metal cutting saws I have used. Here's a few photos....

IMG_0347Standarde-mailview.jpg

IMG_0346Standarde-mailview.jpg

IMG_0348Standarde-mailview.jpg

This little saw is great for the sawing jobs I encounter in the finish shop....about it's only drawback is the throat depth. I solved that issue....for bigger cutting chores I have a 7x12 Wilton, wet/dry saw in my Blacksmith shop.
The one conclusion I have come to after all these years is that when it comes to metal cutting bandsaws, there is a definite need for two in most serious shops.....one for small jobs, and another for big jobs.
I think the majority of 4x6 saws are built with the "hobbyist" in mind....someone who only uses the saw occasionally.

I agree with Ed, I have this exact Dewalt bandsaw in my shop and it works great!! I will look to see what model # it is. I got mine at Tool King online with free shipping, pays to shop around. I think I paid around 250.00 but not sure? I used plumbing strap to secure mine to the wall, very solid. With a stool in front when I get lazy!
Sincerely,
Clint

thanks clint. i found a DWM120 on sale w/free shipping for $269.99 at dewalt factory outlet store thanks j.j.

jjv99 - If you haven't bought it yet, I just bought one last week through Amazon.com for the same price and free shipping - and it's not a refurb.

Mine (the one in the pics) is a Model D28770. It's been a really good saw....of course now that I've said that....watch it blow up tomorrow! :)

Back