Curtiss Knives "Chef's knife for Grandma"

Curtiss Knives

KD Founding Member #1, Knifemaker
I finally got the chance to make a Chef's knife. This one is for my Grandmother in-law. Made from 3/32" CPM-154 with stainless corbys and tube. The blue G-10 is from Tracy. I flat ground this sucker to a super fine edge. This is the sharpest knife I've ever made or seen! I'm actually worried about giving it to her. I did make a couple more at the same time for my best friend back home for Christmas. One was a cleaver and the other was similar to this. Didn't think to take pics before I shipped. I'm sure to make some more soon. My kitchen knives that we use are awful!
Thanks for looking.
Chef's Knives 001.jpgChef's Knives 002.jpgChef's Knives 003.jpgChef's Knives 004.jpg
pencil.png

Lookin' good. I need to make a set for our kitchen too. Too many other projects going on right now though :( Wait... that's a good thing! Better than not having any work! :D

Way to go, Dave. I think Grandma has probably used more knives than you and me put together so she should be OK. People don't seem to understand that sharp knives are a lot safer than dull ones. The sharp ones go where you mean them to go whereas the dull ones tend to skid one way or the other and cut what you didn't mean to cut. I haven't tried making a chef's knife yet but it is high on my list.

Thanks. I know it's suppose to be safer, but this thing shaves paper slivers and you can't "feel" the blade going through the paper. I can't feel it cut anything. Know what I mean?

Yes, I do, and that is scary sharp. Tell Grandma to keep her fingers out of the way and for God's sake not to run her finger along the blade to see if it is sharp. If she doesn't already, please advise her to keep her fingers rolled back and to let the side of the blade rest against her knuckles when chopping stuff. Also suggest that she grasp the blade between thumb and forefinger slightly ahead of where the handle starts. That should be the balance point of the knife and it gives one the most control.

OOOHHH...OOOHHH...Deny, I had a thought. You need to start a thread in the Kitchen Corner of proper use of the different types of kitchen knives and tools. Video would be a plus! Any aspiring chefs could join in and help. I know squat about how to properly use a chef's knife.

Back