Coote Grinder

cnilson

Does anyone use this grinder. If so what are any pros and cins compared to the other grinders out there?

Chris Martin has a Coote.
To my knowledge, it is a 2 wheel grinder,,similar to a Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015.

The Coote doesn't come with a motor so you can put on the kind of moter you want or have. I think that you can put a belt and step pulleys in order to control the speed. You can set the drive mechinism up how ever you want.

For the money and versitility the NWG (No Weld Grinder) is the way to go. Tracy at www.usaknifemaker designed this grinder and sells the plans and all of the parts needed to build one.

I conduct workshops to build this grinder, with several modifications. You can check my previous posts for more information on the workshops.

Considering where you are in relation to me, North east Tennessee you will probably be better off getting the plans and parts from Tracy. At this time I don't have any workshops set up in your area. I am conducting a workshop and then teaching a class in May at the New England School of Metalwork. www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com.

Look at the pictures on my brochure, then if you want to talk to me for some tips or whatever PM me and I will help if I can.

Anyone that is closer to cnilson post here or PM him if you can help him.

Wayne is correct.

I do run a Coote. Its light years ahead of my trusty old Dayton 2x42". But it was a hell of an upgrade. Yes, the step pulleys help with speed control....specially with a 3450 RPM motor....lol

I would take Waynes advice and go with the NWG if you can splurge a little bit. I will be building mine this Spring with James, hope Wayne will be there2thumbs

If you want a decent 2 wheel, dont hesitate to get grinding on a Coote. Norm is a great guy and offers a small wheel attachment, hollow grinding rest etc. I love mine and will continue to use it after my NWG build.

No matter what route you take, just get to grinding!!!!

Chris

Chris Martin has a Coote.
To my knowledge, it is a 2 wheel grinder,,similar to a Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015.

The Coote doesn't come with a motor so you can put on the kind of moter you want or have. I think that you can put a belt and step pulleys in order to control the speed. You can set the drive mechinism up how ever you want.

For the money and versitility the NWG (No Weld Grinder) is the way to go. Tracy at www.usaknifemaker designed this grinder and sells the plans and all of the parts needed to build one.

I conduct workshops to build this grinder, with several modifications. You can check my previous posts for more information on the workshops.

Considering where you are in relation to me, North east Tennessee you will probably be better off getting the plans and parts from Tracy. At this time I don't have any workshops set up in your area. I am conducting a workshop and then teaching a class in May at the New England School of Metalwork. www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com.

Look at the pictures on my brochure, then if you want to talk to me for some tips or whatever PM me and I will help if I can.

Anyone that is closer to cnilson post here or PM him if you can help him.

I have a Coote and I love it. It is very solidly built and, so far, has done everything that I need to have done. I forge blades rather than do full stock removal, however. The maker recommends a motor speed of no more than around 1600 rpm for use with a step pulley but, if you have a faster motor you can always use a larger wheel on the grinder than the motor to slow it down. When you start out grinding, I'd go slower anyway just because you can shoot past the point you want to go to very easily if you are not careful. I can't compare it to a KMG or clone because I have never used one but the Coote is a very good machine. If you get one I would recommend that you do not get a motor of less than one horse power and more is better.

Doug Lester

Step pulleys are the stuff!!! If I didnt have them I would be in trouble. When I first started mine up after mounting....I put it on the fast pulley and damn near pooped.....lol Scary fast.

I agree....slow-med works great even with my 1HP motor.

Yeah, Chris I did that when I built my NWG. I had a fast 2 hp motor I wanted on it. Installed it with it on the fast speed and could not turn it off fast enough. I almost did what you said.
:haha:

I havent done it since....haha Damn near flipped my bench over. Once I get some real benches made and mounted solid I will give it another spinbouncewow1sharpen1rockon

Yeah, Chris I did that when I built my NWG. I had a fast 2 hp motor I wanted on it. Installed it with it on the fast speed and could not turn it off fast enough. I almost did what you said.
:haha:

OK the biggest draw back that I have found is that you only have the big contact wheel. The tracking wheel is metal so you don't grind on it. I have been thinking of replacing mine.

If you can build a grinder before you buy any of them I would go with the NWG. As Chris stated we are going to build a couple of them. They have many more options. Don't get me wrong I love my coote but it is very limited.

Back